Slow N Sear Deluxe

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
My mother-in-law surprised me yesterday with a belated birthday gift. She got me a Slow N' Sear Deluxe for the 22" kettle.
It looks really nice. I see people on the different Weber Facebook groups recommend them all the time.

It's basically a huge charcoal basket made out of high quality stainless steel, right?
And has the thin removable water tray that fit in there too.

Besides using it for low & slow 2 zone cooks and searing / cooking the food directly above the coals/basket....what do you use your S&S for?
For things like wings I found using the basic charcoal baskets in the middle of a GBS grate and wings around perimeter works wonderful.

Just trying to get some ideas for using this new S&S and see how versatile it is.

Your motherinlaw is better than mine, I'm getting a pair of running shoes for my bday (and she's late):ROFLMAO:

I've used the SNS for ribs, smoked chicken, chuck roast, steaks, etc. My opinion is that the SNS is best used for smoking small to medium size cuts of meat. Depending on the charcoal you use and other factors, I could get 4 to 6 hours of cook time at low temps with my SNS. My only complaint about the SNS is that I found that the semi-circle shape was awkward to sear more than 2 or 3 pieces on, especially porterhouse steaks which happen to by my favorite. You'll notice that the SNS will get your coals pretty close to your grill grate which is AWESOME for getting a good sear.

Good luck with the new toy!

Your motherinlaw is better than mine, I'm getting a pair of running shoes for my bday (and she's late):ROFLMAO:

I've used the SNS for ribs, smoked chicken, chuck roast, steaks, etc. My opinion is that the SNS is best used for smoking small to medium size cuts of meat. Depending on the charcoal you use and other factors, I could get 4 to 6 hours of cook time at low temps with my SNS. My only complaint about the SNS is that I found that the semi-circle shape was awkward to sear more than 2 or 3 pieces on, especially porterhouse steaks which happen to by my favorite. You'll notice that the SNS will get your coals pretty close to your grill grate which is AWESOME for getting a good sear.

Good luck with the new toy!
Haha, running shoes, oh man. Hopefully you asked for those and she isn't trying to indirectly tell you that you need to lose some weight!
I recently bought a used Performer for my mother-in-law and got it all cleaned up and back to like new condition for her.
She called me a week or so ago asking about a "water basket". That's when I told her about the S&S and how I'd heard it's a great product, but I was too cheap to buy myself one. I thought it was strange that she was thinking about buying something like that for herself....turns out she was just trying to find something to buy for me. I'm kind of hard to buy for. My wife's family thinks my only hobbies are grilling and drinking beer :ROFLMAO: .... wife's dad is always buying me these dumb koozies with bottle opener attachements and things like that. Little does he know I don't use a koozie!

Thanks for the tips on using the S&S. I can see how it might not be good for long low and slow cooks....a shame since it's such a nice fancy basket.

My mother-in-law surprised me yesterday with a belated birthday gift. She got me a Slow N' Sear Deluxe for the 22" kettle.
It looks really nice. I see people on the different Weber Facebook groups recommend them all the time.

It's basically a huge charcoal basket made out of high quality stainless steel, right?
And has the thin removable water tray that fit in there too.

Besides using it for low & slow 2 zone cooks and searing / cooking the food directly above the coals/basket....what do you use your S&S for?
For things like wings I found using the basic charcoal baskets in the middle of a GBS grate and wings around perimeter works wonderful.

Just trying to get some ideas for using this new S&S and see how versatile it is.
I have been using my SlowNSear Plus which does not have the removable water tray to cook chicken, steaks, fish, etc. Now you need to get the SlowNSear DripNGriddle and their Easy Spin Grate which has enhanced my Grilling skill for the last two(2) years when I purchased these items. As of today I remain one-happy SlowNSear.Com Customer! Like to add that the SlowNSear DripNGriddle make clean-up a snap.

Last edited:
When you guys use you SnS for a long low and slow like a big pork butt..... do you have to refill the charcoal a few times during the cook?
I have always just banked the coals and controlled temp using the lower vent. Dumping a few lit coals on a big pile of unlit to start and sometimes adding more coals if I see the temp dip too low.

Sounds like that is how the SnS works too, except it holds less unlit coals.

Found an old thread with some good discussion on the SnS. Rather than bumping it up I’ll link it

Back