Sliced pork vs pulled pork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Fraley

TVWBB Super Fan
I like pulled pork. It's good. But I'm actually not a big fan of anything that comes close to shredded meat. Neither is my wife.

What I would like to know is there a good temp to pull the pork shoulder off in which it will slice\brake apart vs pulling? I would like it if I could get it to come in bigger chunks then pulling. Similiar to how I hear about brisket, where you can slice it but the slightest tug will break the slice. That I guess is what I'm looking for. Does anyone make there pork like that? Or is it even possible?

Dennis,

A while back I did a couple pork butts on my ECB that I took to about 175-178 internal. It ws my first ever pork butt. It broke apart into the major chunks pretty good but didn't pull. It was destined to be served later in the week so I sliced it up into pretty good-sized pieces and stuck it in the fridge. About an hour before serving I added a little barbecue sauce (not so much that you'd even notice, really) and re-warmed. The guys at the KC meeting couldn't get enough of it.

Hi Dennis. You can get the butt to 160 temp and it will be cooked. Let it rest twenty minutes and you will be abe to slice up the butt.

Chach

I was thinking around the 180f mark.
Tony That sounds like the exact results I'm looking for.

thanks guys. I'll try it next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back