Slap Me Soo :)

Dave Wr.

TVWBB Member
I'm currently smoking 2 racks of spare ribs. I'm having a hard time getting the temps to 275. Got stuck @ 225 for the first hour then I cracked open the side door and am getting a steady 263 but slowly falling again. I used the modified minion method (1 full unlit chimney then 3/4 lit on top - 3 chunks of apple / 1 chunk of hickory). Maybe I didn't use enough coal? Should I add more?
icon_confused.gif

According to the Slap Yo Daddy directions it should cook for 2 hours at 275 then foil for 1 1/2. Should I extend the time before I foil since the first hour was only @ 225?

Too funny. I'm doing the same rib cook right now (Soo, SYD Rub, Spares). I'm trying for the same 275 with a Stoker and dry pan and still haven't got there after over an hour. I'm at 260ish. Don't worry, we can still foil them after 2hrs as that's the expected end of the smoke ring range. We may have to extend the time after the foiling (or the foiling time if you're comfortable) until firm and tender. I'm most interested to see what the brown sugar/honey addition mid cook will do.
I'm doing a modified No. 5 sauce for the finish. What about you?

Hi James - I carefully rearranged some of the coals and I'm getting a steady 273 right now
icon_smile.gif
I'm extending the time about 30 more minutes before I lift the lid because I started off with temps so low. I too am looking forward to seeing how the brown sugar etc. looks and tastes but I'm not sure what a #5 sauce is? I have some Badlands-simply the hottest - sauce from Williams and Sonoma I got on sale for me to dip after and some KC masterpiece for the wife and kids for the final part of the cook.

Dave,

I'm actually at 276F after 2 hrs. I'm going to foil at 2 1/2 hrs (in 30 minutes).
The No. 5 sauce is a simple ketchup & vinegar based sauce. You can find it by using the Find tool here as it's a pretty popular base sauce.
All I have here in the way of a jar sauce is Bullseye and I think it will be too sweet paired with the sweet rub/rerub.

Good luck.

James,
I just foiled the ribs, brown suger honey etc. I'll check out the #5 as it sounds easy and I have some time to pull it together
icon_smile.gif
I foiled the skirt, riblets etc - not sure how they'll turn out...
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Giant snow flakes are starting to fall here
icon_rolleyes.gif

Must be karma. I just made the SYD rub. Waiting on the wife to get back with 2 racks of BB's. No foil for me and using water. All post pic's of the smoke
icon_wink.gif

It's a "slap" happy day
icon_wink.gif
I have the #5 sauce simmering and I have about 20 minutes to go before I check for tenderness
icon_smile.gif

Pics:
The "guest"
package.jpg

Rub applied:
rub.jpg

Foiled straight across the top of the pan/slightly indented - no seam
icon_smile.gif

foil.jpg

Ready to smoke
icon_smile.gif

grate.jpg

Yup-that's snow in the background
icon_rolleyes.gif

snow.jpg

Off the grill-eatin' time!
ribs.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maybe I didn't use enough coal? Should I add more? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
More is better. I use nearly a full ring of unlit, even if I'm doing chicken or ribs. When finished, I close all vents and that puts out the fire. I simply reuse all unlit coals on the next smoke.

Thanks Gary, I was thinking the same thing when the temps wouldn't budge from 225. I'll definitely fill the ring more next time. I ended up gently moving some of the coals around - must have did the trick cause the temps came up. I then had to open the side door a bit and got through the cook OK
icon_smile.gif
I was using the "mini Minion Method" posted in "Firing Up Your Weber Bullet".

Mike - James - how'd your ribs turn out? - James I saw in another post you didn't think the brown sugar addition was much to boast about?
My ribs came out ok I thought - though the family thought they were very good. I thought they were a bit mushy (from the foiling?) and I was expecting more from the brown sugar etc. also. I noticed on the SYD website - the recipe on his T-shirt calls for Agave nectar? I have no idea what this is - It also says 3 hours before foiling not 2 as in the PDF but I'm assuming its for the BB's?
http://slapyodaddybbq.com/imag...20Store/DSCF2410.JPG

Nice looking ribs! Quick tip about getting to temp. Try leaving the WSM open to the elements a little longer to get more coals to ignite. Put the WSM together and leave the vents open and monitor the temperature, when you get to within 15-20 of you target temp throw the meat on. Its going to drop because of the meat but it will work its way up again. When you are within 15-20 degrees of your target again begin to play with your vents for control. You will save a lot of time by doing it this way. I normally do a full ring with 5-7 chunks of wood and 3/4 a lit chimney for shorter cook like ribs & chicken and a full ring with 5-7 chunks of wood and half a lit chimney for long cooks like brisket & butts. The reason for the difference in the amount of lit is due to the cooking temperature. If I do 3/4 lit chimney on a long cook I increase the odds of having to add more charcoal and my target temp is 250. I hope this helps.

Thanks Richard - looking back on it: I have read in threads that some put their meat on the grill once they put the lit coals/wood chunks on (minion method) but next time I'm going to try what you suggest -let the cooker come to temperature to ensure enough coals are lit "before" putting the meat on. Also -The ribs went on fairly cold which may have contributed - but I thought the cold meat would result in a good smoke ring?
Oh well - all part of the learning curve
icon_smile.gif

I usually put all my meats my on at room temperature, I let them sit for an hour and I have never had a problem with the smoke ring.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted October 30, 2011 02:44 AM
Mike - James - how'd your ribs turn out? - James I saw in another post you didn't think the brown sugar addition was much to boast about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best one yet Dave. Did the Harry Soo rub also on 2 racks of BB's:

Used a rib rack:

2iuvluw.jpg

Rubbed and ready:

nwerv4.jpg

Cut 2 ribs off each rack for a good fit:

2ytuphw.jpg

35lbt6v.jpg

156soya.jpg

ixz3ex.jpg

You think we're ready for a whole suckling pig?
icon_biggrin.gif

Yours looks Great!

Mike - those ribs look fantastic! I was contemplating using a rib rack but laid them flat instead. Did you notice any advantages using the rack such as evenness of cooking, time of cook etc.? What did you think of the flavor of the rub, brown sugar etc.?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Wr.:
Mike - those ribs look fantastic! I was contemplating using a rib rack but laid them flat instead. Did you notice any advantages using the rack such as evenness of cooking, time of cook etc.? What did you think of the flavor of the rub, brown sugar etc.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave, I want to use the rub again with a little tweaking. I doubled the recipe which yielded about 2 cups. Used a little over a cup for 2 BB racks. I also used course ground kosher salt which was more concentrated in certain spots. I'll also cut back on the chile powder. Soo calls for some kind of mild chile powder. We did not have that so I'll cut that in half next time. I had no prob with the brown or white sugar. I had never heard of adding sugar to pork before this but that's why I'm a rookie.

I like the rib rack. I spray it and the grills with canola oil and the ribs slide right off. Not sure if a rack is better than flat for the small amounts we cook.

I did have a difficult time with temps and posted a topic: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0069052/m/3381077626

Stay warm up there. Heard y'all getting a Noreaster. Smoke On!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Dave, they turned out good but I really expected more from the brown sugar/honey interim add. I've seen people add the same combo more than once during a cook and thought it would be too sweet. I did like my modified No. 5 sauce though. More citrus/acid to offset the (nonexistent) added sweetness. Simple mods were more vinegar, lemon, lemon zest, ginger and a pepper medley.
Best thing was that they were simple to make. I rate them high for their ease and overall good taste but I'll up the sugar/honey next time and see where it goes.

Back