skewers

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
i got some ss skewers from a second hand store. simple but good quality. what i don't understand is that the ends are blunt. anyone know why ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
i got some ss skewers from a second hand store. simple but good quality. what i don't understand is that the ends are blunt. anyone know why ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just call Weber for a replacement.

Just a guess, but prolly for some safety reason so you don't poke yourself. Are they round or flat? You could sharpen them to a point if you want to.

Tim

Maybe lawyers or insurance guys had something to do with it.
icon_biggrin.gif

My ss cooking skewers are burnt/stained at the ends. During a cook/grill they'll get some color, and I'm not that concerned w/ removing the color. Sounds like the previous owner felt the same.

George it's so you don't stick it through your hand while skewering your meat and sue the manufacturer. Mine are blunt but still have a point to them. They still poke through meat just fine.

I was fascinated by Alton Brown's Curry episode, where he made a kettle tandoori, and he used some stainless 27" skewers from Super Skewers. They want around $80 for ten of them and I only want 5, so I'm not keen on the $80. So I'm trying hard to find some local metal shop that can cut me some 18/8 or 18/10 stainless in the form I want them. The best I've found so far is a guy who will do 1/4" rods, but I don't want round. Any kind of point will do, I think, but the more important feature is the ability to hold the food and spin the food. Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T Bounds:
I was fascinated by Alton Brown's Curry episode, where he made a kettle tandoori, and he used some stainless 27" skewers from Super Skewers. They want around $80 for ten of them and I only want 5, so I'm not keen on the $80. So I'm trying hard to find some local metal shop that can cut me some 18/8 or 18/10 stainless in the form I want them. The best I've found so far is a guy who will do 1/4" rods, but I don't want round. Any kind of point will do, I think, but the more important feature is the ability to hold the food and spin the food. Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are pretty expensive. You could do a round set of 5 for around $15 yourself. I order metal from Speedy Metals. Flat like you want in 3/8" wide you could probably goto Hobby Lobby or a hobby store and check out the stainless selection. It is not hard to bend it up and cut with a dremel tool.

Brian, Thanks a TON for the tips! I've already googled Speedy Metals and checked out their supply. I'm sure I could use the flat 1/8 by 1/2 material in 316, a bargain at their prices! I plan to order some soon and start my project right! Thanks again!

george, use 'em for holding up limp plants or tape name tags to the circle end of them to ID the plants in your garden.
If you do not have a garden, start one.
If you do not want to start a garden, ok.

George my friend - I don't know why but I am going to check back here later. So far nobody really has told you WHY. lol. Now my curiousity has been piqued and I also really do want to know. Help him out guys. We all want to know. Bob

Back