SJP Mod Complete

Well...right after I posted that question I figured it out. My SJP has a rather thick coating inside of it, several places it ran and the bottom is a little lumpy. Luckily, I could see where a pool of it settled in the bottom so that is where I drilled.

My mod is complete!! I post a few pics as soon I get them taken.

SJP Mod Done!

just about finished this mod...Is it possible to bend the legs down (center part where the legs meet) to get more clearance without causing a stability problem.

Thanks a lot Steve, I'm going to check harbor freight first to see if I can get one cheap. Heading on vacation to the lake starting a week from today and plan to do this as a fun little project.

Thanks!
Todd

Mod mostly done. Everything is drilled and I just have to reassemble (waiting on high heat touch up paint to dry).

Question for Dustin and JD. Would either of you comment on how you got the ash pan and legs assembled?

Like a few others have asked, there's not much clearance without some bending of the legs. And it looks like JD has it installed different than Dustin.

Thanks,
Todd

Mod complete and it's great. The ash tray does contact the thumb screw of the one touch. This gives clearance but the tray is wedged against the thumb screw pretty tight. I did replace the thumb screw with a shorter one (home depot) but still tight fit and ash tray moves when opening or closing vent. It works great but I think I can make it better.

Here's how: Use a longer thumb screw which will replace the screw holding the legs together and screws into the bottom of the one touch. This thumb screw should be long enough to pass through the legs, through the Ash Tray, through a washer and nut (tightened down on the ash tray to create as much clearance as needed but not so tight as to prevent the screw from rotating) and into the bottom of the one touch handle system. This single screw method should solve the problem provided your one touch is pretty much centered. Thought of this as soon as I completed my mod.. right now there is no rush to do it as the system works as is .

Next mod comtemplating is screwing holes in the side of the kettle to attach brackets that would hold a 18.5 hinged grate in place, add a hole in top for a thermometer (in a place that does not interfere with the handle, currently using vent hole but do not like restricting airflow) and I will have the perfect little sjp. BTW when cutting holes for the one touch system, make the holes where they will be closed when the handle is moved against one of the legs. This way you know the vent is closed without looking.

Anybody have a parts list to do this mod? I'd like to use the One Touch parts to do this. I need to order a couple of parts to fix a WSM that had an "accident" thanks to my son and his John Deere Gator Ride-on toy the other day and figured I'd just get all the parts at the same time.

i'm still wondering why go to all this trouble of expense and ruining(to me) a perfectly good grill when an 18.5 one touch kettle can be had cheaply and just cut the legs short and yer done. the lid can be held on by three bungee cords or you could rig up a setup like the platinum easy enough.

George,

I'll state just a few of my theories for modifying an SJP as oppose to cutting a one touch grill

Reason 1 The "Dance With The Girl Ya Came With Theory": Some of us bought the sjp not aware of its faults. Modifications are cheaper and less space consuming than buying another grill.

Reason #2 The "Theory of Evolution" men like grilling partly because men like messin' with fire. We also like messin' with tools. Fire and tools, the combination that helped us become the dominant species. Fire, tools, meat then drag the girl ya came with back into the cavelike garage. Can't get more basic than that.

3rd "The Theory of Creation" it is just as easy to go to the local bbq joint and order food. But instead we like to make our own...ie some of us just like to create stuff. Then show it off.

4th "Doctrine of Lease Resistance" otherwise known as the "Cross My Heart and Hope to Die Theory." Tinkering with the grill provides a great reason not to clean out the gutters or help with the dishes, or cut the grass, or move the furniture, or go in the living room and watch lawrence welk reruns with mother-in-law like I promised since I couldn't spend time with her the last time she visited because I had to go out a buy an SJP for the big game but you just thought it was an excuse but I really wanted to spend time with her but I really had to find an SJP but now I really really have to modify the grill today to get it ready for the upcoming tail gate season in three months and I really truly promise to spend time with her next time she comes but I can't watch lawrence welk if a game is on and I really hope you don't get another headache tonight. Cross my heart and hope to die.

5th "Theory of Relativity" or the "Male Ego knows no bounds" Theory . Not only can my pa (my relative) whup your pa (your relative), but my SJP (relative to yours) is better'n yorn.

6th "The George Mallory Theory." Mallory was asked why he wanted to climb Mt Everest and he famously replied "Because its there" Subsequently many people followed. They (other than those of Mallory's time) could have easily taken a helicopter but like cutting the legs off a full sized kettle is/was cheating. I was going to modify my sjp because others had attempted it or, like Mallory, die trying.

^
^
| What he said!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

(Or, more specifically, Numbers 1, 2, and 6)

well, at least i got an answer !
icon_smile.gif
i kinda assumed most of what you said. missed the "mine is better than yers" bit.
icon_smile.gif
hope non of you thought i was getting on yer case or anything. i'm all fer doing what makes one happy. just thought that the 18.5 grills can be had cheaply like on craigs list. the only mod needed is to cut the legs shorter and put some bungees on to hold the lid. maybe get fancy and add the lid holder wire. i like my sjp the way it is. i'll pursue the 18.5 kettle mod and see how that goes. been enjoyable watching the inventiveness of ya'll though. keep it up.

Hey guys, I'm new but have been "listening" to the conversation for a while. Just found a SJP at a rural Ace Hardware and drove 20 miles to pick it up (their last one). Will definitely want to duplicate the JD mod. Is the unibit a must? Would love to not buy a $30 bit if possible.

Sounds like my SJP story. Drove 20 miles south to a rural Ace Hardware - bought their last one.

I will be using the SJP a lot - probably daily -this week while on vacation at Ocean Isle Beach. Based on the SJP performance there, I will decide how necessary this mod is. Hopefully, the mod won't be necessary.

Cheers!
JP

Hi folks...the uni-bit is not a "must" use...but it sure makes life easier....plus it help to prevent the porcelain from chipping by drilling the hole in increments. If you do not have a uni-bit...I recommend using several different sized drill bits so as to step up to your desired size. If you can not "step up" then I recommend putting tape on the area you are drilling to help prevent chipping and be sure to have a fairly rigid set up so your large bit will not grab as you start to break through. A little lubricating oil will also help. Good Luck.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dustin:
Guys, what are you using to measure the hole in the center for the one touch system? I have measured several times and it's in a different location each time. I want the hold dead centered. Any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used a marble...just set the SJP on a level surface and put a marble or ball bearing in the bottom...when it stops rolling it's dead center!
icon_wink.gif
You can also play roulette if you are so inclined.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ty Avent:
George,

I'll state just a few of my theories for modifying an SJP as oppose to cutting a one touch grill

Reason 1 The "Dance With The Girl Ya Came With Theory": Some of us bought the sjp not aware of its faults. Modifications are cheaper and less space consuming than buying another grill.

Reason #2 The "Theory of Evolution" men like grilling partly because men like messin' with fire. We also like messin' with tools. Fire and tools, the combination that helped us become the dominant species. Fire, tools, meat then drag the girl ya came with back into the cavelike garage. Can't get more basic than that.

3rd "The Theory of Creation" it is just as easy to go to the local bbq joint and order food. But instead we like to make our own...ie some of us just like to create stuff. Then show it off.

4th "Doctrine of Lease Resistance" otherwise known as the "Cross My Heart and Hope to Die Theory." Tinkering with the grill provides a great reason not to clean out the gutters or help with the dishes, or cut the grass, or move the furniture, or go in the living room and watch lawrence welk reruns with mother-in-law like I promised since I couldn't spend time with her the last time she visited because I had to go out a buy an SJP for the big game but you just thought it was an excuse but I really wanted to spend time with her but I really had to find an SJP but now I really really have to modify the grill today to get it ready for the upcoming tail gate season in three months and I really truly promise to spend time with her next time she comes but I can't watch lawrence welk if a game is on and I really hope you don't get another headache tonight. Cross my heart and hope to die.

5th "Theory of Relativity" or the "Male Ego knows no bounds" Theory . Not only can my pa (my relative) whup your pa (your relative), but my SJP (relative to yours) is better'n yorn.

6th "The George Mallory Theory." Mallory was asked why he wanted to climb Mt Everest and he famously replied "Because its there" Subsequently many people followed. They (other than those of Mallory's time) could have easily taken a helicopter but like cutting the legs off a full sized kettle is/was cheating. I was going to modify my sjp because others had attempted it or, like Mallory, die trying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfect...!!!
icon_wink.gif

18.5 hinged grill grate mod completed today.

Why is this mod important to me? Have any of you tried to add more coals to a cooking grate full of food especially after several dogfish head 90 minute ales? Once, I added the food to the coals and placed the new coals on the cooking grate. After picking up a charcoal with my spatula and placing it on a hamburger bun, I knew something had to change. And trust me, it wasn't going to be the beer.

Anyhow very easy. No measuring needed. Drilled four holes through the middle of the indentation that supports the standard grate (this will not affect standard grate support). Used regular 1/4 inch metal bit and Didn't use any high math to determine location, I just eyeballed 4 equi-distant holes and inserted the 1/4" x 1" (#20 size) machine screws and tightened with lock washers and nuts. Added charcoal rails, placed aluminum drip pan in the middle, set the hinged grate on the four screws. and I'm now ready to test it with some indirect rib action tomorrow.
Mod cost.....$12.00 hinged cooking grate
1.40 screws, nuts. lock washer
7.00 charcoal rails
Time to Complete.... <15 minutes.
Time "significant other" thought it took ....2.5 hours

Sadly, only remaining mod is to add thermometer and change the one touch mod to the single screw method I described earlier. Hope I can eek out another 3 hours of housework avoidance. I got it! Why didn't I think of this before? The barbecue muses just inspired something wonderful- An SJ Performer Mod, complete with a portable folding work station and gas ignition. I could avoid housework for at least another 3 months.

*****Update 7/18/08 Spare Ribs came out excellent...cooked a litte fast but that was to be expected. Used Steven Raichlen's dry Memphis beef rib recipe mopped with North Carolina Style vinegar sauce and finished off with Cattlemen's BBQ SMOKEHOUSE (not the Classic version) as rightfully recommended by Rick Browne from BBQ America. Not as tender as when I use my smoker but very close. BTW Thanks JD for the info and inspiration.

Back