SJP Mod Complete

aaaaahhhhhh! now the truth comes out for doing the mods. avoiding house work. coulda just said that first.
icon_wink.gif

Couple things. Could someone list the parts needed for this mod? And the ash pan you installed looks like it's damn near flush with the bottom of the kettle. Could you take a larger bolt, and using a couple different nuts slide he pan and legs further down the bolt, thus creating some clearance between the vents and the ashpan...and create some more space to operate the ash removal lever? I'm a total friggin' noob when it comes to this stuff. I'm so mechanically declined it's ridiculous. The models I have are the old Jumbo Joe's, what I believe were the predecessor to the SJP. I should be able to do this mod with what I have too right?

SJP flow problem

For this mod, you can either go Smokey Joe Silver ($14 and a phone call to weber and say "I want a replacement bottom vent and any associated hardware for a SJ Silver") or 18 1/2 Silver kettle($24.98 via website).

I'd give you a link but the weber store is undergoing system maintenance.

Maybe for a few ribs you can find someone to help out with the mod.

i went the 18 ots route and bolt that the arm goes into hits on the pan but i can move the arm ok. i was slightly off center but it works fine.i drilled 9 holes,3 rows of 3 and mine breathes fantastic

A little contribution from my humble garage. The Pro-Q Stacker for the WSM when turned upside down, fits perfectly on the SJP to make a low-cost smoker.

Thought I would revive this tread. I bought the parts to do this mod 4 1/2 years ago but because life happens was not able to do it till today.

What a great little grill this is with this mod. Now I have our SJP for when it is just the wife and I and I do not want to fire up the larger grills. I can also move it right under the lights on the patio for complete vis. It now burns beautifully.

Thanks VWBB.
Mitch

Congratulations on finishing the job. I just bought one, new in box, at the start of football season to use for tailgating. I'm considering doing the mod, but will hold off for now.

Please post pictures of the completed mod.

Back