Sirlon tip is it grilling or WSM?

Eric H

TVWBB Fan
I have a 8 lb sirloin tip (roast?) to cook for labor day.

I am hoping this is a sliced pit beef style cut, is it a slow and low, or a cook on the grill piece?

any suggestions are greatly appreciated, i am guessing i can cook it to rare, and cut in 1/2 to 1/4 and grill to requests?

I used to have a local place that had the best beef sandwich, (shanesville on rt 73 in Pa)but i never actually asked what cut it was, it was a huge hunk of beef, i know that...

any ideas on how to do this one is greatly appreciated.

Eric

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric H:
I have a 8 lb sirloin tip (roast?) to cook for labor day.

I am hoping this is a sliced pit beef style cut, is it a slow and low, or a cook on the grill piece?

any suggestions are greatly appreciated, i am guessing i can cook it to rare, and cut in 1/2 to 1/4 and grill to requests?

I used to have a local place that had the best beef sandwich, (shanesville on rt 73 in Pa)but i never actually asked what cut it was, it was a huge hunk of beef, i know that...

any ideas on how to do this one is greatly appreciated.

Eric </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's how I would do it.

Cook on the WSM in the 245º-260º range, until you get an internal temp of 110º-115º (since it's a larger cut), remove from WSM and loosely tent with foil. Finish with a moderate heat sear (350º-400º) over direct heat until you get an internal temp between 120º-125º, remove from heat, loosely tent and let rest 10-15 minutes before slicing.

If there are folks who want well done, keep a warm sauce pan of aujus available and briefly dip the slices into the aujus to get rid of the pink. This will give you the best results without having to grill/slice to order.

Sirloin tip roast is a great cut of meat for pit beef, but pit beef is traditionally made with 'round'.

Here's a few pic's of a top round I did for pit beef with the above mentioned method. Notice the meat on the sandwich is more done, this is after the meat was dipped in the aujus. I, however much prefer it rare!

IMG_9688.jpg
IMG_9699.jpg
IMG_9719.jpg
IMG_9724.jpg
IMG_9727.jpg
IMG_9729.jpg

Larry, that looks soo good, if it comes out 1/2 that good we will be happy people.

Thanks for the play by play, sounds like the a great way to cook it.

Eric

Man, those close up shots of the sliced meat make it look crazy good. Are those just the juices you drizzled on to make it glisten?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Dechaine:
Man, those close up shots of the sliced meat make it look crazy good. Are those just the juices you drizzled on to make it glisten? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, just the natural juices from the beef.

Back