Sirloin Tip Roast Failed

Well I tried a sirloin tip roast to %145
cooked hot around 325-350.
Sliced thin med rare center looked great but !!!!!!

Not tender not dry no flavour ( used steak rub )

What should I have done ????

Help please Jim

I use a mop, the commercial one I use is called Bourbon-Q. Mop every 45 mins to 1 hour. I also much earlier than you did (125 to 130 internal Max).
Jim

I just did one. Injected with a teryaki/honey marinade. Cooked to 145. Was pretty good, but not tremendously tender.

If you cook to 145 you get a finish of 155 during the rest, way too high and reason for the non tender finish.
Cooking at 325 or higher is to get a spread of doneness (wd). Will have some med to med well on the outside and rare center but allowing the internal to go to 145 means the outside is over cooked. If you want med try cooking at 225 to250 and get an even finish throughout the roast, I would still pull at 130 so I would have a 140 finish.
Jim

I will try the next one at lower temp cooking 235 255 .
Then pull the bugger at 130 and rest it .

I did the left over from the failed one in a pot simmered in broth till almost fall apart tender.
Boy it made some good beef on Cuban bread with the hot juice . We loved the smoky flavour.

Thanks for the help ....Jim

Failures can eat real good!
icon_wink.gif

Jim

Jim,

I have a friend in Delaware that says when something you are cooking does not turn out the way the recipe called for, just call it something else and no one will be the wiser. Looks like you salvaged the meal with good results.

Ray

Back