Simple smoked mac and cheese

Tom_M

TVWBB Super Fan
For a quick, tasty side dish smoked mac and cheese is great! My wife has a great mac and cheese recipe but I decided at the last minute tonight to make some to go with meatloaf so I took the easy way out and threw together a package of Velveeta shells and cheese. After it was done I put it in an aluminum pan, sprinkled some of my home made rub on top and then added another layer of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese and popped it in the CG with two chunks of apple wood and let it cook for about an hour.

I know it's a no-no to talk about cooking on something besides a WSM here but the CG is quick for these kinds of things. I hope I'm forgiven.
icon_wink.gif

It could've went about another half hour to brown up the top layer a bit more but we needed to eat because of plans my daughter had made. If you've never tried smoked mac and cheese I highly recommend it.

001.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Smoked mac´n´cheese is on the list! BTW what do you have in your mac? I did a version with crispy bacon this week and the family loved it.

John, I know it's OK to discuss other smokers here, but it sorta feels like going to a Ford Mustang forum to discuss Camaros.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Wolgast, this was just the Velveeta package of shells and cheese with some rub and extra shredded cheese added. Nothing special, just a quick side for leftover meatloaf, but it's amazing what a bit of apple wood smoke can do to something cheap and plain.

I know it's a no-no to talk about cooking on something besides a WSM here but the CG is quick for these kinds of things. I hope I'm forgiven.
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">"Pa, what's a CG?"</span>
<span class="ev_code_GREEN">"Go ask your mother."</span>

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">"Ma, what's a CG?"</span>
<span class="ev_code_RED"><GASP!> </span> <span class="ev_code_GREEN">"You want your mouth washed out with SOAP??!!"</span>

purdy good lookin' M&C!

Back