Simple Pork Butt Question

Steve Wene

TVWBB Member
This should be simple for the veterans here. But, I'm not quite sure of the answer my self.

I have 3 butts of different sizes. One is about 11 lbs, one 8 lbs, and one 6 lbs. I'm assuming the 8 and 6 lbrs will go on the same grate but my question is, which grate would you put the 11 lb on...Top or bottom? Or does it make any difference?

You could put all 3 on the top, but then the ends are in the hot zone so you'd have to rotate them so they don't get overly crispy. Put the 2 smaller ones on top and the big one on the lower grate. This way you can pull off the smaller ones when they finish, then move the big one up to the top grate when you have the room to do so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Wene:
This should be simple for the veterans here. But, I'm not quite sure of the answer my self.

I have 3 butts of different sizes. One is about 11 lbs, one 8 lbs, and one 6 lbs. I'm assuming the 8 and 6 lbrs will go on the same grate but my question is, which grate would you put the 11 lb on...Top or bottom? Or does it make any difference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From a cooking standpoint it makes no difference.......From a practical standpoint put it on the bottom since it will more than likely take longer than the smaller ones. That way you will have pulled the smaller ones off and can get right to the one on the bottom, vs. shuffling butts!
icon_biggrin.gif

*Sorry Bryan we must have been typing at the same time.

It doesn't matter to me, the top rack will cook just a bit hotter than the bottom so with your setup of the biger one on top they should finish all about the same time or even better yet put all 3 on the top, might be a tight fit but should work. It's alot easier loading and unloading all one one rack.

Whatever works for you is the best but it doesn't have to be any certain way.

Top cooks slightly faster but the bottom line is you're going to have to stagger when you put them on since there is a large cook duration difference from a 6 to 11 lb butt.

Back