simple charcoal grate removal

David-B

TVWBB Super Fan
08-22-10_1106.jpg

05-24-08_1503.jpg

bolts were raw steel seasoned with cooking oil

...and here i spent the time to cut, bend AND weld handles to my charcoal grate.
icon_rolleyes.gif

DaveMike', you are a simple (or simply a) GENIUS!
icon_smile.gif

Very Nice!

Originally posted by Lew:
Don't the bolts interfere with the water pan?

nope, i have the brinkman pan which is deeper than the stock weber(i dont use water)and there is room between the bolts and waterpan

I did the second charcoal grate mod already,and wired the two grates and the ring together. But I like the idea of handles. Or is it just another mod I can do?
icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah i could see this coming to mine as well. You all inspire me so much. I just tell my wife that im "fixing" the smokers. She always says "If you have to keep fixing it then its probably not as good as you say it is". He He she will never know.

Hey for this dummy...Whats the benifits of this? Dumping ash out of a hot cooker? ...or for the faint of getting hands dirty?

Originally posted by D Schatte:
Hey for this dummy...Whats the benifits of this? Dumping ash out of a hot cooker? ...or for the faint of getting hands dirty?

The biggest benefit I see is being able to sift the charcoal out after a cook with just a little shake side to side and then dump ashes out of bottom of cooker.

John, I will take a couple tonight, never thought of it as a mod so didn't bother when I shot my other mods.

Mark

John, here is the wire job: Probably have to redo with heavier wire but it has held for a few months as is.

coalgratemod003.jpg

coalgratemod002.jpg

coalgratemod001.jpg

Back