Silver C Restoration

Steve a lot of the Silver B/C grills didn't have frame right to left frame supports. Weber accomplished the needed support in two ways. First, they put a bottom pan (or entire cabinet) on the grill which created the necessary support. The other solution they used was a heavier wire rack for the bottom that basically snapped in place and that provided the side to side support.

It is hard to tell, but I think that grill has the heavier bottom rack that snaps securely into place.

Yep, I am working on the exact same grill frame right now on my current rehab. I am dropping one of those "snap in place" wire racks which will provide the needed bracing between the two sides.

I really prefer the independent suspension. No steel axle to rust out and look horrible. The axle stubs are hidden by the wheels and a little rust won't hurt anything.

Here is the kind of wire shelf you need for that grill.
20210920_161715.jpg

I really prefer the independent suspension. No steel axle to rust out and look horrible. The axle stubs are hidden by the wheels and a little rust won't hurt anything.

Here is the kind of wire shelf you need for that grill.
View attachment 37547
That looks pretty beefy, but I guess it needs to be if it's also supporting the grill. Bruce, while I'm thinking about it, have you ever considered making a video of painting these frames? I think that would be helpful for a lot of people to see proper technique and good results.

Steve, it really isn't all that hard. But, I could have done that this afternoon as I just painted one right before I painted that bottom rack in the photo. I hope to do at least one more Silver B this fall, and if I do, I will try to remember to do a video.

It would still be nice to see how a pro does it. The part of my restoration that I had the most anxiety over was painting the frame. It came out ok, but I'm sure I could have done better.

I've read more than once NOT to paint the inside of the cook box. Is there anything one can do to make it look slightly better?

Yah, really, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to clean out the cook box down to bare clean metal when the grill is for personal use. 5 or 6 cooks in and you won't be able to tell it was cleaned anyway.

But, if you want to get it cleaner than simple scraping does, then some oven cleaner and some household SS steel wool. Wear rubber gloves.

Steve, it really isn't all that hard. But, I could have done that this afternoon as I just painted one right before I painted that bottom rack in the photo. I hope to do at least one more Silver B this fall, and if I do, I will try to remember to do a video.
OK, I went ahead and painted up my next frame this evening and did a video HOW TO.

Back