Silver C for $60

AnthonyJ

TVWBB Member
would you guys agree that this used Silver C is a good buy @ $60?

the burner works, igniter is shot and so are the grates and flavorizer. side burner works.

00D0D_8mfroclsNEf_600x450.jpg

Parts are easy to get for those as I have restored a few of them and flipped them. If you are going to keep it check out the flavorizer bars from rcplanebuyer on EBay he sells really heavy duty SS ones for less then Weber. For $60 I think if the firebox and frame are rust free and in good shape I would do it because silver Cs are somewhat rare.

Not sure what the parts would end up costing but I can't imagine much for what you listed. The rest looks fairly well kept so I'd say even with new parts it might be a great deal.

Ironic you ask - this one came up recently in my area for $250. Looks to be in worse shape "condition wise" than yours but the seller claims its all working fine.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-outdoor-bbqs-outdoor-cooking-Weber-BBQ-Natural-Gas-Genesis-Silver-C-with-side-burner-W0QQAdIdZ579512529

$250.00 seems steep to me. Seller claims they were new for $1000.....I don't think they were near that much when they were current units. I'm going to ask that question about pricing in another thread. Cheers.......I'd grab it for $60.00.

Last edited:
I did an estimate and it would cost roughly around $150-180 for parts alone.

I am thinking of having the firebox sandblasted though so that might add another $50 at least.

Anthony even with the sandblasted box that is a deal that is a great grill with exceptional work space. That will last you for a long while.
Congrats
Kevin.

Hi Kevin,
I am interested in the lid (my grill got knocked over by the wind and the cast iron handles broke), the 2 caster wheels and the stainless steel cover, hinge from the side burner. I am willing to offer you $40.00. What is the least expensive shipping to CT, 06460
Bob
bobkat28@optonline.net

Last edited:
after a month and taking my sweet time to refurbish my silver c. i am now done....

20140531_175716.jpeg

20140605_202910.jpeg

20140605_202951.jpeg

20140605_203024.jpeg

20140613_212020.jpeg

20140613_212114.jpeg

20140613_212231.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah sweet success! It does my heart good to see another older Genesis come back to life.
You did a great job that “C” looks like new!

That's looks nice. Great job on the resto. I might just need to rebuild the B I just picked up for free instead of hacking it up.

Very good job with those bars and grates looks better than new. Now that sucker will last a long time down in Houston. Now lets see it cook something.

Very nice how did you clean the inside of the cookbox?

I used an angle grinder coupled with a cup wire brush...

Used oven cleaner on the first run since I tried scrubbing the gunk and it wouldn't budge...

Parts replaced were:

Flavorizer bars - rcplanebuyer
Burners - got it cheap from Bargain Hunt store
Grates - Bargain Hunt also
Caster wheels
Igniter
Misc screws
Plastic Hinge for the sideburner cover - Weber wanted $5 each. Went to Stewar Bros. hardware and used some automotive plastic fasteners.

Very good job with those bars and grates looks better than new. Now that sucker will last a long time down in Houston. Now lets see it cook something.

I wish I could but I just finished it to give me that satisfaction of having refurb'd a weber. I'll be grilling in Houston with a Q200 for now until my Silver C moves with the rest of our stuff.

Last edited:
How coarse of a cup brush did you use? Thinking about doing the same thing to mine? I have a 4 inch grinder with a braided cup brush

so it's been a year...how has the restoration held up?
is the paint flaking or peeling?
are you happy with how everything turned out, is there anything you wished you had done differently?

I'm in the process of doing a similar restoration on a Platinum I 2200...my biggest question is do i paint the frame or leave it, do i paint the firebox or paint it...both are in good shape but dull and faded...

thx
kevin

Modern rattle can paints are so good now I don't know why you would not paint the frame. I have been using them extensively and from my experience Rustoleum makes the best rattle can products. I have tried Krylon but frankly even their top of the line product kind of disappointed me. I need a (for what I do) a glass like finish. Krylon just never gets there and runs easily the high end Rustoleum products are so easy and fast and harden to very high gloss. Use a high heat version on the top rails (due to firebox heat) and regular on the others.

Back