Silver B right swing table: adding a frame "catch" to a frame without one

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
1633363586101.png

I'm not sure the proper name for the part circled in orange in the pic above. This frame has it. A frame I'd like to use does not.

I have the right side end piece, rod and and swing up table, but the frame I'd like to use does not have the catch.

Has anyone cobbled a bolt-on solution to hold the RH table up? I don't currently have access to a welder.

I have a couple of ideas however if this is a solved problem, I'd love to see how it was done.

My first ? Would be how is that clip or whatever mounted to that frame? Is it part of the frame, or is it spot welded to the frame.
If spot welded then you can drill out the spot weld and transfer to your other frame and bolt it on after you transfer the hole measurements over and drill out the frame. Note spot welds are harder than the surrounding metal, so step drilling out the spot weld is a good idea, using a lower speed and high quality but like a cobalt one.

I am almost positive they are spot welded on. In fact, I think they were even on frames where there was not a table because they manufactured them all that way. When they shipped the dies to China and rebadged the old Silvers as "Spirit" grills they stopped putting those on. So while otherwise virtually identical, if you start with one of those Chinese Spirit frames and want a swing table on either side, you will have to get one of those clips and do as Kevin suggests and bolt it on unless you have welding skills and equipment and can weld it on.

Last edited:
That bracket was pre-existing on the Silver that I have. I'm thinking you should weld it or find a donor. It's a structural thing and I'd be concerned that it would be wobbly. There's some leverage going on there...look at the moment arm in your picture, maybe 4:1 or more?

Last edited:
Without a doubt the cleanest way to do this would be to cut a donor bracket off a frame and re-weld it to the frame that doesn't have it.

It would be an easy weld even I could do, but I don't have a welder handy right now.

In case anyone is wondering what the heck I'm doing, I'm combining silver B frame parts with a parts from I think a 1000 to get a deep box Silver B.

20211004_113959.jpg

The upper left half of the frame and left frame legs are from a silver B
The upper right half of the frame and right frame legs are from the free red head which is I think a 1000.

I'll need to clearance the hinge catch on the RH side shelf to account for the burner being lower.

I may just use a C-clamp for the time being to prop up the side table, or not even install it at all.

And, I'm just trying to sort out all the mechanical details first, then I'll tear it apart to clean, paint and make beautiful.

If I can get this working this may be my east-west keeper grill.

Last edited:
Am I correct in thinking that, the way that bracket appears to wrap around the frame leg, that it will interfere with the cookbox?

Aw, hell, now I gotta go look.

So the net benefit is thermoset tables on an early Genesis? Sounds interesting.

exactly. I like the look of the wood yet I like the convenience of the thermoset. Easy to clean nearly no maintenance.

My plan is to get the 1000 "cooking" and use it for a month or so and see if I notice the difference. Edit. Compared to the Silver B.

Last edited:
Am I correct in thinking that, the way that bracket appears to wrap around the frame leg, that it will interfere with the cookbox?

Aw, hell, now I gotta go look.

I don't think the "catch" bracket on the frame will interfere. The black metal mounted to the swing up table will need to be modified to clear the burner which is lower and more outboard on the 1000 cookbox than the silver B cookbox.

20211004_121016.jpg

You're going to get me in trouble...I'm supposed to take the wife to the store. I looked at mine and my first instinct is to weld a piece between the two tabs on the back side and then bolt it through the frame, but you not having a welder on hand makes that problematic.

You're killing me with that blue lid.

I don't know what level your metalworking skills are, but it might be easier to make a bracket out of angle and a spacer for the back side. I gotta go...I'm getting the stink-eye.

And, for the record, the blue lid and this cookbox will be going back into the Gen 3 and be restored as close to original as possible.

Right now the hinge pins are seized so the lid and cookbox are inseparable, and this cookbox is my only serviceable 13 bar at this time so I'll use them for my experiment, and if it works out, I'll find a donor cookbox.

My long term plan is to have the black lid from my model year 2000 Silver B be used.

Last edited:
Hey, Ed, I fixed your reply ;)

Believe me, I figured all that out. We are about 16 hours apart, and if we met half-way it would be in a town called Rector. Never heard of it...things to do in Rector, let me see...

The really scary part of this is if I said to the wife, how about a trip to the state capitol, she'd be out the door packing the car before I finished the sentence. Problem with that is, when she packs the car, she really packs the car, and there'd be no room for the lid. I'd have to leave her there. :oops:

Last edited:
Believe me, I figured all that out. We are about 16 hours apart, and if we met half-way it would be in a town called Rector. Never heard of it...things to do in Rector, let me see...

The really scary part of this is if I said to the wife, how about a trip to the state capitol, she'd be out the door packing the car before I finished the sentence. Problem with that is, when she packs the car, she really packs the car, and there'd be no room for the lid. I'd have to leave her there. :oops:
You need to add a cargo carrier to the back.

And, for the record, the blue lid and this cookbox will be going back into the Gen 3 and be restored as close to original as possible.

Right now the hinge pins are seized so the lid and cookbox are inseparable, and this cookbox is my only serviceable 13 bar at this time so I'll use them for my experiment, and if it works out, I'll find a donor cookbox.

My long term plan is to have the black lid from my model year 2000 Silver B be used.
Keep soaking the hinge pins with PB Blaster or similar. Then use vice grip to get the pin to slowly turn independent of the cook box and lid. Be patient and keep trying. It will eventually loosen up. I had one took 3 days.

So if you had ,or could get someone to weld this bracket on to your frame, would you be able to get one or a piece of a frame with on it from a rusted out frame as one of the guys that get curb pick ups may have on for a good price....

Back