Silver B resto x2

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
My plan is to take the "best" and keep one, sell or give away the other.

The one closest to was the free-to-me I picked up a week or two ago. 2002 DU code.
The one farther back that is cleaner is my 2000 model DD that I've had for 20+ years.

I have two questions, with details below.
1) which frame should I keep ?
2) which manifold should I keep ?

edit: adding the link to the gas grill parts thread here so I don't have to remember where it is.

20210605_134746.jpg

Last edited:
First question: is the 2002 frame preferable over the 2000 ?

The older frame has a vertical mount for the propane tank and cross bars across the bottom between the legs.

The newer frame has the propane tank mount horizontal across the legs. and there are no square cross bars between the legs.

In the last pic, the newer frame has the catch for a right hand side fold up shelf.

20210605_145352.jpg20210605_145218.jpg
20210605_145609.jpg

Last edited:
The manifold of the newer one is square, and has less rust on the mounting arms. It also seems to have a better mounting methd with the wire loops.

20210605_145748.jpg

My firebox (upper) is bowed slightly. I think this happened during a very hot grease fire. I'll use the newer one.

My lid is in much better shape and I'll keep that.

20210605_151350.jpg20210605_151404.jpg

My vote is with the frame with no side to side cross members. However, you will need different gray end handles to utilize a right side flip up table. Both manifolds should be interchangeable.

Thanks Bruce. I was leaning towards that one.

I'm not sure I'd add a right hand side flip up table to this but having it as an option seems good to have.

If it was my personal grill, I would have it. Sometimes having some space on the right side is very convenient.

Shopping list so far:
- caster ( on order )
- ignitors ( both were bad )
- a few bolts I snapped off when taking things apart.

I'll pressure wash both fireboxes, both lids and both end caps and paint the outside of the firebox and endcaps.

I'm not planning to paint the frames. They are both remarkably rust free. I may sand and touch up a couple small areas.

These items are from the freebie and I'll use them since they are in better shape than mine :
- Side table and fold up side table
- Firebox
- Frame
- burners including crossover tube
- bottom tray and drip pan holder
- manifold, hose and regulator
- knobs

From my original I'll be keeping
Lid ( with repainted end caps )
Lid Thermometer
Right hand burner knob plate.
SS Grates
SS Flavorizer
warming rack
swinging potato rack

I'll get a slightly refreshed unit for very little cost.

If it was my personal grill, I would have it. Sometimes having some space on the right side is very convenient.

Is there a source for these? I saw a few of the pieces on eBay, but not all the parts.

Waiting for an igniter and the casters.

I decided to not paint the end caps now. Maybe a fall project. The firebox paint is sketchy. The texture was really far gone. I will likely redo it in the fall too. 20210606_154049.jpg

The rotisserie slot on newer firebox was not as deep on the right side and the spit was hitting the lid. A little dremel tool grinding clearanced this so it now spins freely.
20210607_193118.jpg

Grill 2 is on hold.

Parts to repair the broken frame are 7 to 10 days out and I've got some other projects to tend to.

Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions.

20210607_192342.jpg

I was "gifted" a Silver B late last year. Two weeks ago I tossed the old Charbroil in the trash after stripping off the
unused side burner for another project. Spent about $150 for all new parts to refurb the Weber and couldn't be
happier! I'm looking for the griddle for this and it seems to be unobtanium...

20210605_110810.jpg

I was "gifted" a Silver B late last year. Two weeks ago I tossed the old Charbroil in the trash after stripping off the
unused side burner for another project. Spent about $150 for all new parts to refurb the Weber and couldn't be
happier! I'm looking for the griddle for this and it seems to be unobtanium...

View attachment 29917

Attachments

• gasser grates.jpg
    gasser grates.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 7

Back