Silicon Dioxide in rubs??

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
So I like to buy and try rubs, I was kinda surprised to see Silicon dioxide in a couple of them made by a certain manufacturer. Says less than 2% silicon dioxide😳.
Any thoughts? I know it’s for anti caking but I haven’t see It in any other brands that I can recall.

I know it's a very common anti caking agent, and can be found in lots of rubs/spice mixes (and likely lots of other stuff.) Supposedly, there is no known health risk, but there don't seem to be any long term or organized studies either.

As far as I'm aware, my favorite supplier, Dizzy Pig, doesn't use it. That's not why they are my favorite, but it doesn't hurt. :) Any chance you noticed it on your Meat Church labels? I know they do use it (and it doesn't stop me from using their rubs.)

Take all this with a grain of salt (or silicon dioxide) since I just lit up a cigar. :)

R

So I like to buy and try rubs, I was kinda surprised to see Silicon dioxide in a couple of them made by a certain manufacturer. Says less than 2% silicon dioxide😳.
Any thoughts? I know it’s for anti caking but I haven’t see It in any other brands that I can recall.
anti caking. i personally would avoid and make my own, but i am crazy like that. small amount won't kill you, so they say.

I know it's a very common anti caking agent, and can be found in lots of rubs/spice mixes (and likely lots of other stuff.) Supposedly, there is no known health risk, but there don't seem to be any long term or organized studies either.

As far as I'm aware, my favorite supplier, Dizzy Pig, doesn't use it. That's not why they are my favorite, but it doesn't hurt. :) Any chance you noticed it on your Meat Church labels? I know they do use it (and it doesn't stop me from using their rubs.)

Take all this with a grain of salt (or silicon dioxide) since I just lit up a cigar. :)

R
i didn’t buy any Meat Church rubs and I don’t want to make a big deal about whose it was, I just didn’t like seeing it.
I do know my favorite brand Oakridge DOES NOT use anything but the best.

I have noticed mostly that I’m just a SPOG kind of guy anyways. I think I’ll really try to find some high quality onion and garlic to go with the salt and pepper I love.

i didn’t buy any Meat Church rubs and I don’t want to make a big deal about whose it was, I just didn’t like seeing it.
I do know my favorite brand Oakridge DOES NOT use anything but the best.

I have noticed mostly that I’m just a SPOG kind of guy anyways. I think I’ll really try to find some high quality onion and garlic to go with the salt and pepper I love.
if you really want to go full natural, run a bunch of garlic cloves in the blender and spread the mash out onto parchment paper and place on a baking sheet and dehydrate it in the oven on lowest setting for a few hours till completely dry. same for onion, puree and spread out onto parchment paper and dehydrate.

once dried, run back through blender to break up the clumps and there you'll have the freshest and most tasty onion and garlic.

i do this with ginger and my dried ginger is 1,000x better than store bought ground ginger.

and i do the same with herbs and such bought in the market., but i sun dry those on my patio table outside and they dry quickly in the summer. my italian leaf parsley tastes just like fresh.

Last edited:
Not exactly the same thing. And I'm no expert, for certain, but I think they're similar. Again, not an expert, or even an amateur for that matter. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

1647802541653.png

Last edited:

Back