Shucked Oyster in Liquor Help

RCBaughn

TVWBB Super Fan
I got a small tub of shucked oysters in their liquor for $1.50 since they were close to date and was wondering if any of you fine fellas has any ideas on what I might could use them for on the grill? Don't want to make anything like oyster stuffing, I am just dead set on using them with the grill for some reason. Thought about trying to make a filling with them to go into something, but no ideas honestly. Can't really do grilled oysters Rockefeller since I have no shells for them.

Maybe have to just end up making a fried oyster po boy with them, but I guess that isn't too bad of an idea in the end. LOL.

I only eat 'em raw, so not much help to you.............but I do remember doing this long time ago. I wrapped the oyster in bacon with a slice of a water chestnut spearing altogether with a toothpick. Grill indirect until bacon is done, and just a touch of direct at the end to crisp up if needed....................d

got banana leaves?
place them on the leaves and smoke'm.
serve as hor d'oeuvres on your favourite crackers or Boston lettuce.
a little hot sauce, lemon if you like....

The only way to eat an Oyster is to have it fresh and Shucked in front of you and down it immediately.

Very sorry to say they will not be fresh personally toss them out it could be a lot safer that way.

Oysters can be very touchy if not very fresh.

$1.50 not worth the risk.

Keith:):)

Hehe, I hear ya Keith. Think I'ma open them, give em a sniff test, and if they smell okay I'ma do that bacon idea that David mentioned. Bacon and oysters are a natural pairing, but I sure didn't think of it at all.

Thanks for reminding me of that BTW David, hope they smell fresh so I can at least get bacon in my life!

Let us know how they turn out. I've bought some of those suckers in the jar a few years ago and quite frankly did not care for them raw, so they do need cooking. I must say the poboy also sounds good as frying will make everything taste better.......................d

If you decide not to risk it, but your into fishing dont throw them out they work GREAT for catching catfish & striper.

Maybe some oyster shooters or batter them up and fry them!! I usually get fresh ones myself but if I had your situation I think a good oyster fry would be good stuff!

Put them on the grill unopened. When they do open, baste them in a lemon-garlic, butter. Add some fresh herbs to the butter.

I wouldn't use anything but oysters I've shucked myself, but to each his own. They are easy to open with a little practice. For a recipe for oysters on the grill, google Steve Raichlen's Drunken Sailor recipe. Grilled oyster topped with barbecue sauce, cilantro, asiago and tequila.

Probably too late for your oysters, but my favorite grilled version is Angels on Horseback. The version I make is take a half length of bacon, drop your oyster onto it, sprinkle with lemon pepper and add a slice of fresh jalapeno. Roll and hold together with toothpick. Grill. Enjoy. These are fantastic snacks.

Paul

I did these in muffin tins in the oven last night and MAN WERE THEY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! I was definitely pushing the date on them, but when I took the top off it had one of those kind like you see on sardine cans, the pull the tab and peel kind so they were definitely sealed airtight. Smelled good and texture was right so I went on with the cooking! I am posting pictures up in the photo section later today. I'll come back and edit this with a link later so you guys can see how they turned out. Definitely good though and I'll buy these all day long if I can find them at the price I did.

There was 6 huge oysters in there BTW. They were monsters.

We don't personally shuck oysters but you can get freshly shucked ones here in N.O. every day at the grocery. In N.O., lots of restaurants serve grilled oysters. Here's a recipe from the first restaurant, Drago's, that starting making them. Now they're all over the place. I've also included a link to a place I recently bought some stainless steel oyster shells to make them in. These shells are also good for stuffed shrimp, stuffed crab and other stuffed delacacies that you might want to grill. The nice thing about the stainless steel ones is you not only don't have to worry about bacteria, but they're kind of deep so they hold a lot of juice (or stuffing, if you're making stuffed shrimp).

Drago's Charbroiled Oysters
by Chef Tommy Cvitanovich, Drago's, New Orleans, LA

1/2 dozen Louisiana oysters
1 Tablespoon Butter Garlic Sauce (recipe below)
Parmesan cheese and Romano cheese

On outside grill, place a half dozen oysters on the half-shell. Put 1 Tablespoon butter garlic sauce on each oyster and sprinkle Parmesan and Romano cheese on each oyster. Allow to sauté in shell until oysters curl. Serve hot. Caution: We recommend cooking on an outside grill because of intense heat and smoke.

Butter Garlic Sauce:
10 oz. melted margarine or butter
1 Tablespoon black pepper, white pepper and granulated garlic [presumably 1 teaspoon of each to make 1 Tablespoon)
3 Tablespoons minced garlic

Note: I notice in the restaurant that they tend to throw the cheeses on once the oysters are hot, but I have a feeling they do this for the show, as it makes the fire rage up. I'm going to try them the safer way first, which should also be easier.

Stainless steel oyster shells available at www.sosoystershells.com ($29.99 + $7.95 shipping for 12).

Last edited:
Assuming they are closed, just throw them on a medium fire and wait for them to pop open. They come out with a slight smokey taste to them. After that you can put whatever sauce, etc on them, close the grill top and let it melt in.

(not responsible if you do this and they are not fresh and you are in the bathroom for several weeks) :rolleyes:

RC,

I was going to suggest the muffin tins. I personally have oyster shells that I reuse, but muffin tins work well also.
My favorite recipe is to drizzle some Absolute Citron vodka over the oysters, then add 1/2 teaspoon of blue cheese on top. I then broil them about 3 minutes until the edges curl. We call this "blue oysters" and they are delicious.

Ray

Back