Shredded Beef and Pork Butt

Robert T.

TVWBB Super Fan
Because it is finally going to be above freezing here in Chicago this weekend, I decided to fire up the WSM and restock the freezer. I am going to make both pork butt and some chuck roasts for shredded beef tacos. The tacos will be our treat for the game tomorrow. Here is my dilemma. I planned on doing these low and slow overnite at around a 225 temp. I have a big and a small pork butt (9# and 4#) and the chuck roasts are both about 3#. My expectation on the butts was that it would easily take all night but what about the beef. I usually go 2-3 hours on the beef per # but a little worried about coordinating everything. My plan B is to put the beef on first thing in the morning as the pork is finishing which would also leave me enough time and may work out better especially since I am planning on foiling the beef at 165. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Buckeye Bob

Robert, if it was me, I'd do it all together overnight, shred and bag then re-heat the next day. I know it's not as "cool" as taking it right off the cooker, resting and shredding in front of guests (which I love to do, I'm all about the coolness factor) but I think it will come together better. One thing I always worry about (take this with a grain of salt because I'm a neurotic mess and over think everything) is the "smoke." What I mean here is what if I start the cook with just the butts, then add the chuck the next a.m. but most of my wood has burned out, will adding more wood over smoke my butt (hard to do) etc. Also, on beef I like to lay down a heavy smoke so I want it exposed to smoke as long as possible. So for me having everything on early is best. My .02.

Nice!

I have a brisket on right now (4lb) and have two pork butts that I just seasoned...all ready to go. My brisket has been on for two hours at an average temp of ~310. Might be done in 1 hr...damnit. Didn't really intend to have a "high heat" brisket, but the temps got out of control...and it's 24F outside!

Anyhow, I'd do as Larry suggested and do 'em all overnight.

Larry,

They came out really well but not without some angst and issues I had to resolve. Not my easiest cook. We are having some computer issues so I will follow up with a longer write up. Thanks again for your help.

Bob

Well, after 2 1/2 weeks of computer hell, I am finally back online at home again and can respond. I did decide to do them both overnite. I used Steven Raichlen's Basic BBQ rub on the pork, my go to rub, and did more of a brisket type rub for the beef with no sugar. Here they are ready to go:

I used a full ring of Nature Glo lump but started with about 18 Kingsford briquettes. Everything came up to temp okay, eventually, although with all of that meat in there and the full water pan (I've got to switch to the clay pot!!) it took a while. My temps ended up stalling out and I couldn't get them to move. Eventually, I ran out of fuel and had to completely reload. I actually did the bear hug and lifted off the middle and the top very carefully. I know, not a great idea but it worked. Once I hit about 175 on the beef, I wrapped them in foil and added some beef broth and some jalapenos, onions, and red pepper. This adds a great flawor to them. They finally got done at about 2pm after 18 hours of cooking. Much longer than I expected. Although this was supposed to be a cook to fully restock my freezer, this was the day of the Super Bowl and my 18 year old decided to have 10 of his friends over to watch the game so we put out the fixins for shredded beef and pork tacos and they were great. Here is one with the beef. The stuff on the top is the onions and peppers I put in the foil with the beef.

Everything turned out great and a belated thanks to all for their help.

Bob

Back