Shredded BBQ Beef mixed with BBQ Sauce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Fraley

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm making some BBQ Beef with a couple of chuck roasts I have for the Superbowl. What I need advice on is the sauce. I'm going to use a homemade BBQ sauce to mix the shredded beef in a slowcooker after it comes off the smoker.

Should I use straight BBQ sauce or should I use some BBQ sauce and something else? Like maybe tomato sauce or something? Would straight BBQ sauce be to much you think?

I don't know what your tastes are, so it's hard to give advice. If I were doing that, I think I'd try just using enough straight BBQ sauce to lightly coat it, but not have it swimming in the sauce.

Allow the flavor of the smoked meat to come through. If necessary, I'd add a little water to the sauce (if it's thick) to counteract any evaporation that might happen.

Dennis,
I tend to like a sauce on brisket that is less sweet and more vinegary . I usually use a concoction of Montgomery inn and Willinghams original when doing brisket I just back off on the Mont. and add more Willinghams

I"m pretty open as far as taste prefereces go. Just wondering if all BBQ sauce not cut with anything would be just too rich ya know?

Assuming your homemade sauce is about as intense as a sweet commercial sauce, then I'd do as John suggests. Just enough sauce to give a touch of flavor. If you're concerned about the meat drying out then add something that's more neutral.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Weisse:
[qb] Assuming your homemade sauce is about as intense as a sweet commercial sauce, then I'd do as John suggests. Just enough sauce to give a touch of flavor. If you're concerned about the meat drying out then add something that's more neutral. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Like what? Just water? The sauce I'm making is a replica of KC Masterpiece sauce. So it probobly will be pretty tangy. What about just enough BBQ sauce to coat and flavor the meat. Then mix in some tomato sauce and water so it's not so pasty? Do you think that would work?

Dennis...

You have a wonderful opportunity staring you in the face!

Make 3-4 different batches of sauce(or more if your up to it!). I never, ever mix any sauce with the meat! I use beef stock to hold it in the warming mode.

If you mix the sauce with the meat, you have the chance of turning some people off. For instance, I HATE sweet with beef, so, if you mixed up some KC and slathered it on the meat, I wouldn't eat it! So, why take that chance?

By making several sauces, you get to experiment, you allow your guests to sample several different varieties, it will help you find your "ideal" sauce quicker, you will identify what "the public" prefers. This comes in handy when competing. You will quickly learn which ones are the "best" and not have to ask your guests...their containers will be empty!

I bet I have made over a hundred sauces since starting to Q. I weed out the bad ones and have found several that I now use regularly. It all started by serving several sauces and gauging the responses of the crowd. I do this with ribs, pork, beef....about everything.

Here are the ones I used to serve.......sweet red, hot red, sweet yellow, hot yellow, novelty(non-BBQ stuff). For beef, I would also include something with horseradish...nothing better on beef! I would also cut out the yellows for serving with beef. They just don't fly with the public.

Why push YOUR favorite on your guests? Give them some variety!

Have fun!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Taylor:
[qb] Dennis...
Why push YOUR favorite on your guests? Give them some variety!

Have fun! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well the BBQ sauce I decided to make is'nt a favorite. Just the one I decided to use.

I agree with you 100% Kevin! But my wife is another story. What you've suggested above is how I've alway's done my shredded pork. But we had shredded pork at a Packer party a while back at a friends house (made in slow cooker not smoked). They had it mixed with BBQ sauce and my wife prefered it over having the sauce on the side. Now she has her mind made up for me to do the shredded beef that way as well. Not to have the sauce on the side. Rather then argue with her about it, I'd rather just do it the way she prefers. So I don't have much of a choice except to mix it with the sauce right after shredding it.

Dennis, Dennis, Dennis!

I thought this was for your buds and the SuperBowl party?

LOL

Just kidding! I know the feeling!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Taylor:
[qb] Dennis, Dennis, Dennis!

I thought this was for your buds and the SuperBowl party?

LOL

Just kidding! I know the feeling! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah sometimes you gotta take one for the team! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Either way It should be good. Way better then what most consider BBQ around here. Meaning Sloppy Joes.

So any thoughts on what to cut the BBQ sauce with when I mix it with the meat? I actually dont really care much for to strong of a vinager taste either. Besides there's vinager in the BBQ sauce anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis Solin:
[qb] Might try some KC Masterpiece cut with a little apple juice to thin it a little, works pretty good at our tailgaters. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That sounds like it would be fine. Or what about beef broth? or not? Not sure how the broth would mix flavor wise with the BBQ suace? Maybe not such a good idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Weisse:
[qb] I'd try apple juice or beef broth. Maybe some water or even a splash of wine or some beer. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank Guys I'll try one of the above depending on what I have around here. I figuere I'll mostly cut it with apple cranberry juice I have sitting around here.

BTW, I think that there is a flavor difference between serving sauce on the side vs. mixing the sauce in with the meat. My wife and I split on this issue, too, but maybe that's because I like to experiment with different flavors more.

[qb] BTW, I think that there is a flavor difference between serving sauce on the side vs. mixing the sauce in with the meat. My wife and I split on this issue, too, but maybe that's because I like to experiment with different flavors more. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes there is a difference. I atcually prefer to have the sauce mixed right in with the meat as well. Otherwise it tends to just be a bit dry. But it is nice to have the side sauces to experiment with.
Got both chuck roasts on right now. Taking a while to get up to temp do to the cold here. You know what I mean Tony! Actually right now it's like a heat wave compared to the last week or so. It's around 19f outside right now. Has been single digits to below zero. So thank god for that.

As long as the meat is warm why not leave a mixing bowl and tongs on the table. As people go to make a sandwich they can dump some meat in the mixing bowl, ladel some sauce over it and mix it through with the tongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back