Shoyu chicken thighs

Chicken cooked in 45 minutes. Now resting in its liquid. Next will be a quick run under the broiler for some char and then to concentrate the sauce and then thicken with cornstarch water to give the gravy some body.

Serving with thin bean thread glass noodles and some seared zucchini planks.

1708652736469.jpeg

Looks great Brett!

Just watched a vid from Brad Robinson (Chud) on shoyu last night. Will definitely be on my short list .
Brad is making Sonny’s original version which was on my list. Timing was perfect as I had some thighs I wanted to easily cook up. I didn’t follow or use Brad or Sonny’s recipes. I winged it from what I know about shoyu. The fresh oranges added a nice clean, brighter flavor. I still added more acid in the reduction though for more balance in the finished sauce.

Curious how yours goes. Please share your notes or experiences.

I can shoyu how to eat that, and come back for seconds
You’d love this on your grill after the simmer. These are your flavors from what I’ve seen in your past cooks. Heck, these would make good meats on a stick for a party appetizer.

I used to get chicken meat sticks from the food trucks in San Francisco.
I think how they made such good meat is starting to make sense now.

Like it Brett.
You shoume the recipe now, or when you have time:cool:. I always like cooking something different and this fits the bill.

Like it Brett.
You shoume the recipe now, or when you have time:cool:. I always like cooking something different and this fits the bill.
I upped the garlic to 10 cloves and up the ginger too and added a sliced naval orange to the simmer. Rind and fruit too. And added honey and seasoned rice wine vinegar near the end to balance the flavor profile.

I upped the garlic to 10 cloves and up the ginger too and added a sliced naval orange to the simmer. Rind and fruit too. And added honey and seasoned rice wine vinegar near the end to balance the flavor profile.

I like this recipe, but need to at least double it...

Brett, you did an awesome job on that cook. That sure would hit the spot, you can send any left overs this way.:)
Unfortunately, this too has been devoured. I will make this again soon and possibly on sticks. Everyone like meat on a stick.

I like this recipe, but need to at least double it...
I did 8-9 thighs. Lasted 2 days here. Big difference when upping the garlic and ginger. Massive flavor boost. The orange added a nice citrus note. Feel free to modify it. It’s super easy on the protein. Basically foolproof so long as you don’t overcook the thighs too long. 30-40 mins was plenty. 190°F done temp was perfect. And skin on for the thighs is my recco.

Back