SHOW US YOUR BBQ PIT CAVE (pics!!) :)

Frank, cedar decking??

deck3_zpsf3bbac50.jpg

They just came and excavated the space where our new stamped concrete patio will be going, so soon I should be able to share pics of my new BBQ workzone!

They just came and excavated the space where our new stamped concrete patio will be going, so soon I should be able to share pics of my new BBQ workzone!

Thats cool Matt. Post some picx as its build please. Its always nice to see things coming to life.

Peter

Here's where things stand now. The area is all prepped and ready for them to come pour the 'crete. The patio space isn't huge, but I think it's a good size for the smallish lot we live on-- certainly large enough to allow for us to get an outdoor table/chairs with room to spare for the grill(s) and fire pit.

8974562412_02aa7591b6_z.jpg

I think they'll be doing the concrete tomorrow, if the weather is good. It's been a little rainy the past couple of days. They'll be putting a slate-colored dye in the concrete, and then spreading a darker colored powder over the top to help give everything a two-tone look. The stamp pattern is of slate tiles.

Over on the right are some stacks of some pavers a previous owner put back there for a real tiny patio space. We've been wanting to get rid of them ever since we moved in five years ago-- they were all uneven, grass was growing through them, and they just didn't look good. I'll probably try to hose them off and put 'em on Craigslist or something and hopefully unload them real cheap.

Last edited:
Looks great Matt. BTW I take bricks and pavers and stuff like that to habitat for humanity. Its a win/win that way =)

Peter

Not very good at making a straight line are they?;)

HA! The comment by the crew was, "This isn't the '60s, square blocks of concrete are out!" We came up with the layout, taking the square footage we could achieve with our project budget, then mapping it out on some graphing paper.

Concrete was poured and stamped today...

8983600422_ebccb2a2cb_z.jpg

8982404621_7c676b63d5_z.jpg

On Saturday they'll finish the job, spraying a sealant over everything. Now comes the hard part, deciding upon an outdoor table/chairs set, hopefully by Father's Day.

Looks great Matt. BTW I take bricks and pavers and stuff like that to habitat for humanity. Its a win/win that way =)

Peter

Called our local Habitat office and they will gladly take them. Only minor problem is they can't come pick them up, and I can't easily transport all the pavers over in a single trip without borrowing a truck/van from somebody.

So, we're first going to post them on some work-classified ads where my wife works-- free pavers, you come get 'em. If no bites within a week, to Habitat they go, albeit in trips.

Thanks for mentioning Habitat, Peter-- I don't think I would have considered them as an option without it!

Used that patio for the first time this evening.

The wife's currently out of state for work, so when I got home from my job I lit up a small fire in the portable pit (not like it was cold, I just felt like making a fire), started working on filling in the 'gaps' between the patio and yard with topsoil, and laying some grass seed. Setup the garage boombox and cranked some Led Zeppelin while doing the work. That job was done once I ran out of topsoil (knew I should have gotten that third bag!), so I wheeled the Performer out of the garage, loaded up the starter chimney, poured myself a Woodford Reserve on the rocks, and grilled some chicken wings for dinner.

9038902880_8abfd62583_o.jpg

I'll be doing my first smoke back here on Saturday, doing a couple racks of ribs for having friends over. With my wife coming back to town tomorrow, we'll finally be able to go find some patio furniture so we can actually enjoy some meals out here.

Thanks, guys-- I'm quite eager to get using this space. Hopefully will get a dining set within the next week or two, so we can fully utilize it out there!

Hey Matt,
Love the look of your patio. Just a couple of questions. What kind of a bed is the slate laid on? What was the thickness of the slate. We are trying to decide what surface to use for a new patio are and we do like slate. I put in slate in our entry hall and made a custom mantle for the fireplace out of slate. I am assuming that you laid a cement pad for it?
Thanks Bob

Hey Matt,
Love the look of your patio. Just a couple of questions. What kind of a bed is the slate laid on? What was the thickness of the slate. We are trying to decide what surface to use for a new patio are and we do like slate. I put in slate in our entry hall and made a custom mantle for the fireplace out of slate. I am assuming that you laid a cement pad for it?
Thanks Bob

Would you believe me if I told you it's poured concrete, stamped with a slate pattern?

The concrete is about 4" thick, with some rebar and wire grates inside. Mixed in a dark grey dye with the concrete to give it a better color, and then used a powdered secondary color to add some relief to the patterns.

Matt, you had me fooled. Don't think my wife would go for that approach. Thanks for the info and enjoy the patio.

Back