Shouldn't Be A Problem, but

Dan N.

TVWBB Pro
Ordered fresh 8 - 9 pounder from local butcher. Got a call yesterday that her order from the supplier shorted her over 20 fresh turkeys, including mine. She offered and I accepted that she would cut a 22 pounder in half. I did negotiate to get all of the giblets. My original intention was to spatchcock, brine and then smoke. Now I have a half of a spatchedcocked bird which will be brined (using Dizzy Pig's new Mad Max turkey brine) and smoked. I don't think there should be a problem but there will be some exposed breast meat that maybe I should cover with foil while in the smoker? If you can imagine, she had to call a lot of very irate customers and was very pleased that I could accommodate her predicament. Thanks - Dan

Well, that sort of is unfortunate, but at least your butcher called. Me, I'd be quite willing to patronize that business on that basis.

In all honesty,if you're getting half a bird, that's 1 cut beyond a spatchcock. I wouldn't worry about "additional exposed breast meat," personally, I see little difference between spatchcocked and quartered. Me, I'd brine it, smoke it, have a tasty beverage and just plain not worry about it.

Not worried about it Jim. I was glad to help her out. Just my wife and me this year due to you know what. Hey Jim, you still wanting a Ranch? Like to get rid of mine cheap. I'm up in Wis Rapids.

Back