Shoulder Temp

JTodd

TVWBB Member
I did my first shoulder this past weekend, and i have a question. My wife loved it but for me it was a tad dry. Do you guys cook your shoulder to 190 then pull it off the WSM or pull it between 170-180 and wrap it in foil and towels and put it in the cooler?

After i put some BBQ center sauce on it, it was very good but i think i got it just slightly to done for my taste As always thanks for the input...

i have read alot on this subject hear lately and I find that people take their butts to 190-205 an then double wrap in aluminum foil and let rest for a few hours. thats what Im gonna do anyway
icon_razz.gif

I pulled mine at 192 and put in a double wrap of foil in a cooler and let rest 3 hours. I also injected and rub according to the Chris Lilly recipe. Best of all, I used Kevin Kruger's finishing sauce and that really put it over the top in flavor and moisture!

What temp were you cooking at? I used to do them at 225 or so and always thought they were a bit dry too. I did the last 3 at 250-265 and they have been the best I've ever done.

Kev

I find that shoulder's are all pretty much individuals. Some are tender at at 190, some not.
But the important thing is to test for tenderness.
Probe with a skewer or fork, and if there is no resistance going or coming out, it's done.
If the roast tries to 'hang on' to the probe, check again in 20 - 30 minutes.
Once tender, then it likes to sit for an hour wrapped in foil.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K McCarthy:
What temp were you cooking at? I used to do them at 225 or so and always thought they were a bit dry too. I did the last 3 at 250-265 and they have been the best I've ever done.

Kev </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kev i was right around 225 according to my cook log until about 10 hours in and it was late so i let the temp run up to 250 for the last 2 hours. I do not have a maverick yet but my dome therm was tested the day my wsm arrived and was accurate on the boiling water test. I figure i am a little cooler at the top grate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K McCarthy:

Kev </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can cook great bbq in the wsm at 225*, 250, or 275*. As long as you don't overcook it, there shouldn't be any significant difference in the meat's moisture at the end of the cook.

That said, the difference in how I've cooked on the wsm at different temps is that there's always water in the pan if I want to cook 225-250* overnight (without foiling), but not just to help minimize spikes and dips in temp. I've learned that it also retards bark development, so if using foil during the cook, I won't use any water in the pan. The same applies to ribs and brisket, but even moreso. Until the meat gets tender at least, moisture leaves the meat through the surface, so maybe since there's less surface area to larger butts, that's why I have better luck with 8-9lb ones, vs. 6-7. If I was using a 22" wsm, I'd probably be smoking 10lb + butts.

The MAIN thing is though... butts cooked at 225-250* will be tender at a lower IT than butts cooked at 250-275*...say average of 190*IT for 225, and closer to 200*IT for cooking over 250*. Pull when tender, but just sayin' that you need to check at lower IT's if cooking slower.

Even if you do everything "right" though, you can still end up with a product that's a little dry, since pork is so lean nowadays. I always like to have some sort of a North Carolina sauce in the fridge to use as a finishing sauce base, just in case.

As you will see many times over, "it's done when it's done". Tenderness is not guaranteed at any particular magic temperature. Pulling off the grate at 195 is a guideline, not a hard fast rule. Sliding your temp probe into the meat will tell the story. A buttery feel will let you know its done. Imagine you are pushing a bamboo skewer into a large tub of cold Parkay margerine from the fridge. This same feel of resistance is your goal.

Foiling and resting is "golden". Nothing is going to be at its best unless you foil and rest for at least an hour. Surprising to beginners is that foiled meat in a Cambro or cooler will actually gain 5-7 degrees before it stabilizes.

In pork butts, my experience is that underdone meat may appear dry since the fat has not completely rendered and the collagen breakdown has not finished. Learning is half the fun, and each time you cook will be a delicious lesson. ENJOY

Back