shoulder and brisket overnighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Solin

TVWBB Super Fan
Put on a 10 lb shoulder and a 10 lb brisket about 2:00pm. Covered both with cym and stubbs rub.
Got the WSM lid temp at 250 and plan on a 20 hour cook. Put the brisket on lower rack and
the pork shoulder on top, should help in basting. Found a nice select grade packer cut, cut between
the point and the flat and hit everything with rub.

Plan on taking the brisket off about 188 and the shoulder around 200. Be good fixins while we
watch the Ducks play on Sunday.

Used some fine Kingsford made in Oregon charcoal, and some mequite chunks. Kingsford started
just fine, burning just fine.

duck......I too put a brisket on this morning. An 11 pounder and it has taken 12 hours to reach 170 degrees. Looks like I will be going to bed late, but not as late as you....Jim Mackey

Planning on about a 20 hour cook. Figure these hunks should be done around 10:00am.
Going to get down to about 30 tonight so I might have to run this thing a little warmer to
keep temp. Thought I would reload the modified water pan and fill up the charcoal ring about
11:00pm and then hit the rack. Will check first thing tomorrow and see how the temp
looks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Plan on taking the brisket off about 188 and the shoulder around 200. Be good fixins while we
watch the Ducks play on Sunday.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Uh, duck, didn't they play today (Saturday)?

My Brisket reached 165 degrees and the pan ran out of water just before 11 hrs.
Since I didn't want to stay up all night I wrapped the meat in foil and filled the pan with hot water.
It was at 188 degrees at 14 hours, so I took it off, put it in a cooler and went to bed.
This morning it yielded 5 even pounds of sliced meat.
The Bonesmoker rub helps the taste and the flat is fork tender. I know because I ate a plate of it for breakfast.

Thanks Jim Minion, Danny Gaulden, Stogey and drbbq!!!!

Yo right!, Ducks play Friday in Madisen, WI. Great behind the scenes footage on ESPN of the team.

Took the brisket off about 6:30am, about 16 1/2 hours it was up to 194, oh well. Had a real thick point, might be a little fall apart but real good. Shreded the point for samaches, scraped the flat clean and put in refer for later.

Took the Shoulder off at 9:00am, 19 hour cook for 10 lb shoulder, internal temp was 200.
Let the thing sit for 1/2 hour and just finished pulling it. Pulled great, very moist, nice color in the big chunks, good bark with the cym and rub. Will freeze this stuff for the sweet sixteen next weekend. Imagine there will be a few duck functions in town, though I am scheduled for a flight to Phoenix early Friday to watch the Dbacks and Mariners on Friday for spring bball.

Love these overnighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back