Should you tie boneless butts

Jeff R

TVWBB Pro
I started thinking perhaps I should tie my boneless butts into nice tight shape. Then I started to think if I tied them after I rubbed, some rub would be on the inside. Am I on to anything here.

Yes tie them. Have a roll of twine on hand. Otherwise you will get some "flaps" of meat hanging out that will get too done.

Sounds like I will be tying in the future. What do you guys think about rubbing before you tie. Any benefit?

Jeff - Kyle from TheSlabs.com mentioned on one of the BBQ podcasts on pork butts that he cooks boneless pork butts and that, rather than tie them, he essentially butterflies them to expose more of the surface area to the smoke and rub and therefore create more "outside meat" with bark. Just a contrarian position to what some oter folks are suggesting. My suggestion: Try it both ways and see what you like the best!

My own kind of "food science!"

Pat

I tied my first couple but haven't since. I try to keep them together via placement as good as I can but they always come loose. Makes for a good place to take a sample
icon_wink.gif

I've tied mine in the past. I like to think it helps it cook more evenly, especially when doing multiple.

Might give Peter's cheesecloth idea a try next time.

Jeff R - I season mine inside and out, then tie them just like you are thinking. I place mine on a roast rack over an aluminum pan to catch the juices. This has provided me with a very consistent final product every time I put one in the WSM.

I usually just give two passes with butcher twine making a large X. I can't be bothered to tie it any further. Often I can't be bothered to tie it at all.

I do like the rub that cooks inside the tied portion though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Jeff - Kyle from TheSlabs.com mentioned on one of the BBQ podcasts on pork butts that he cooks boneless pork butts and that, rather than tie them, he essentially butterflies them to expose more of the surface area to the smoke and rub and therefore create more "outside meat" with bark. Just a contrarian position to what some oter folks are suggesting. My suggestion: Try it both ways and see what you like the best!

My own kind of "food science!"

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is geared towards the comp scene, where you would want more barky chunks than pulled.

dont think you need to tie as long as going low and slow. how many are you doing at a time? rull after 6-8 hours at 250 and wrap them. set in cooler overnight.
As far as rub do it before your tie if going to do that but does not make a difference excext for handling

I tie tight then rub if not already tied from the source. It's just easier to handle and a tighter roast. If you want flavour inside (which I know you weren't asking for) you can always inject. Agreed that rub in the folds doesn't bark but it does add some flavour.
Blasphemy I know, but it's like when you get Kentucky Fried Chicken and there's a big blob of unfried seasoning under the skin. Looks gross but tasty as can be.

First time I got butts from the butcher I use, he put them in a sort of string net bag. I didn't think anything of it, but when they were done and I pulled it off, a lof of bark came with them. He now knows i just want them tied.

Does that happen with cheesecloth?

I always liked to tie, but I discovered silicone rubber bands sold at the Cuba (NY) Cheese factory outlet. These do the same tight job with a lot less effort.
icon_smile.gif

Back