Should I get a WSM??? HELP!! I can't make up my mind

Hello All,

I am having sleepless nights over this topic and turn to you to for some help. I already have a Weber Performer and love it! I have smoked BB ribs on it now a few times and they turned out great. Now I am debating on taking smoking a little bit more seriously, and therefore starting to look at the WSM’s. I’m not sure If I should get a 18.5 or 22.5 since I haven’t done many smokes in the past. We don’t usually grill for a huge number of people (maybe 6-8) and not all the time. Would an 18.5 suffice? I would also like to know what the selection of things are that could be smoked. I see a trend towards ribs and brisket only. Are there more varieties to make it worth owning a smoker?

Any help on Size, if I should get one, what to smoke, etc, would be great!

Thanks to all!

I'm in a similar situation and have been debating the same thing, and I've decided to go with getting a 22.5" WSM. That will allow me to cover all my outdoor cooking bases, as I already have a Smokey Joe (for portable grilling, and with the addition of the mini WSM mod, smoking) and a 22.5" OTG (for home grilling, smoking, and slow roasting with the addition of the C&C rotisserie ring).

As others have said, size is a personal choice. I use the 18.5. If you can, I recommend going to a store that has them both on display so you can see them both set up side by side.

You won't be disappointed either way.

We have a garden center that has every grill that Weber sells in the Twin Cities - Gerten's Garden Center.

Maybe we need a list of stores that have both the 18.5 and 22.5 WSM's on display?

And, I agree, you won't be disappointed either way - I have both. My 18.5 inch is now in Missouri on my folk's deck so that I can make bbq for people who really like it - and a 22.5 on my deck in MN.

I like both equally - the 18.5 is easier on fuel consumption - the major advantage there is the limited refueling that you need to do for long cooks - the 22.5 is nice because of all of the real estate. I don't use my rib racks any more and in a couple of weeks, I'll do either 6 or 8 butts for a feed after a rifle match.

Last edited:
I picked mine up a few days before Thanksgiving last year because my grill wouldn't hold the turkey. I almost picked up the rotisserie kit but figured the smoker was an investment :)
Anyway, I went with the 22 because my grill is also a 22 and its been great being able to switch the grates out if one is dirty, etc.

Hi All,

I am tending more towards an 18.5" WSM as I think I wont be doing a lot of cooks for large groups all the time. I will probably be doing more for the family 6-8 people maybe 1-2 times a month.

One quick question to you all before I hit the "buy" button. Does anyone have a "Weber Original Rib Rack and Roast Holder"? Part number 6469 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LR6Z56/?tag=TVWB-20 and will this fit fully loaded on the 18.5"? I use it on my performer which is a 22.5" and considering that I smoke with it and have it off to the side covering about 3/4 of the grill, it is a tad tight on there. I am concerned that it wont fit on the 18.5. If anyone has this rack or has had experience with it on an 18.5" WSM it would be great to know how it worked for you and if it fits nicely under the lid.

Thanks
Andrew

I have a 22 WSM adn had a 18, yet more often than not I use a CB Stacker option, I have squeezed up to 4 grill racks in mine. Another option is a Weber Rotiserre and mod as a Stacker, You should be able to fit 2 full racks that way. Also with a Snake method you can go low and slow in a kettle and fit up to 3 racks (1 standard and 2 foldable) in a kettle.

I have a 22 WSM adn had a 18, yet more often than not I use a CB Stacker option, I have squeezed up to 4 grill racks in mine. Another option is a Weber Rotiserre and mod as a Stacker, You should be able to fit 2 full racks that way. Also with a Snake method you can go low and slow in a kettle and fit up to 3 racks (1 standard and 2 foldable) in a kettle.
Thanks for the reply. My problem is not how many racks of ribs to fit on my rib rack but more of will the specific rib rack that i have and use on my 22.5 performer, fit on an 18.5 WSM.

Andrew I do no have the rack but I can tell you the inside diameter, of the WSM is 17-1/2". Hope that helps.

Andrew I do no have the rack but I can tell you the inside diameter, of the WSM is 17-1/2". Hope that helps.
Gary, thanks for the info. I just checked the dimensions on the rack and they are 16.5 x 4.5 x 10.5 inches so i guess that would leave me 1/2" of space on each each if the diameter is 17.5"

You'll be fine. Wall to wall inside is a hair bigger. If in doubt just take your rack somewhere you can buy replacement grills. The top grill on the WSM is larger in diameter than the lower one but you will see it will work.

I love my 18, I had both but did not cook a large enough amount at one time to warrant the extra fuel I was always using.

Coiling ribs on the 18 works very well too and is a neat presentation as most people have never seen that done.

Will an 18 allow ribs to cook flat? I'm looking for something to be able to cook 3 racks of ribs and a pork butt at the same time.

Will an 18 allow ribs to cook flat? I'm looking for something to be able to cook 3 racks of ribs and a pork butt at the same time.
Nope, I've done ribs twice on my 22.5" WSM and three racks just barely fit laying flat. I've had to shift the ribs and bend them slightly on the two outside ones to get them a fraction of an inch away from the side and not set the lid on them.

Hi All,

I am tending more towards an 18.5" WSM as I think I wont be doing a lot of cooks for large groups all the time. I will probably be doing more for the family 6-8 people maybe 1-2 times a month.

One quick question to you all before I hit the "buy" button. Does anyone have a "Weber Original Rib Rack and Roast Holder"? Part number 6469 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LR6Z56/?tag=TVWB-20 and will this fit fully loaded on the 18.5"? I use it on my performer which is a 22.5" and considering that I smoke with it and have it off to the side covering about 3/4 of the grill, it is a tad tight on there. I am concerned that it wont fit on the 18.5. If anyone has this rack or has had experience with it on an 18.5" WSM it would be great to know how it worked for you and if it fits nicely under the lid.

Thanks
Andrew

If the length is 16.5" and the width is 10.5" than the diagonal is roughly 19.5". So it will not fit on the 18.5" unless you did some tweaking..
I would still buy the 18.5" Wsm and get a smaller rack. My rack is 14" X 10" and fits nicely.

Tim

i got the 22.5 four years ago and have never regretted the extra space compared to the 18. you can always have space left on the 22.5 but cant add space
to the 18

joe

Build a mini; the best ribs I've cooked we're on a mini ( thanks to all of you on this site who had built a mini before me). Buy a 18.5 and a 22.5; you will need the small cooks along with the large cooks. The fondest memories I have are the ones from the Saturday night burgers at my parents house ( after all 9 of us kids moved away). Now, my kids want me to cook for them. Soon, my future grand children will also want me to cook for them. Don't skimp-GO ALL OUT!

Andrew16, i would consider getting the weber 26.75 kettle, my 26er is out performing my wsm. I never thought a kettle could out smoke the wsm but the 26er does out smoke the wsm.

Last edited:

Back