Should I get a Primo XL?

k michalko

I've had my WSM for a year and I love the food I can make on it. In the past year, as I have become a complete lump charcoal addict/snob, I have acquired an 18" OTS, lime green Performer, a Simpson's Smokey Joe and a Lodge Hibachi in addition to the Weber gasser that preceded all of those (she lives in the garage now and I will probably sell it or give it to some deserving soul). Anyways, my patio is now overrun with grills and I would love to change it. I came across a Primo dealer with an XL with a table and other goodies and they very much want to move it. Sorry for the long intro but my question is how does smoking on a Primo (or any other ceramic FTM) compare to the WSM? I think the WSM is a phenomenal smoker. Dark pink smoke rings, good temp control, capacity, etc. I impress myself with the food that comes off it. But I would LOVE to find one machine that can do both. I believe the ceramic cooker are great grills but are they great smokers? I don't cook for large gatherings, don't plan on competing and portability isn't an issue. Cost is a consideration but not a deal breaker for my needs. I guess my main question for the people that have both is- is it as good (or even better)than a WSM for smoking? I joined the Primo forum (which is pretty sparse) and some of the pics of people's cooks look pretty sad whereas others look better than what I can turn out. I find the layout of the BGE forum useless as I'm just not willing to click through every response (plus there's just a weird vibe going on). I've smoked things on the Performer and even the Smokey Joe but the experience was a pain and the results were acceptable but not oustanding. Will the addition of a Primo XL to my stable allow me to move the WSM in the garage? Thanks in advance

i don't have one but i know for sure that if i ever get a extra grand i will be getting the oval xl. great food can be had with minimal use of coals and fussing with things. yes, its better than a wsm but there are gotchas such as the lack of portability. many that have them do love them. yes, you might put the wsm in the garage but i have a sneaky suspision that you will still use it if not at least its portable. so if ya got the bucks and they give you a good deal then go for it. you will need to get many of the accessories also so see what their "package" will be.

I seriously doubt the Primo XL is a "better" smoker than a WSM.

Frankly, with any smoker above lo-end, the skill is in the COOK not the COOKER.

O how I have looked at them! But the Q I put out on my WSM and the grilled food on my Kettle is outstanding (to me and others).

If you look at the charcoal cost over time you could justify one.

Will it make better food, I doubt it. JMO.

When the right paycheck hits (commision only) I will have one, but just cause I want one. Not because it will produce better product.

I use my WSM and Kettle at the same time quite a bit, if you only need one fired up at a time it would be great! However the WSM can be a great grill or smoker as well.

Sure would hate to lose a Weber guy though!

Good luck and let us know what you do!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Man I sure hate to promote another smoker on this site, but I will. I bought a Stumps Smoker this past spring, and love it to death. It's a gravity feed system that is a cooking machine for sure. It is built so solid that it makes smoking foods a complete pleasure. My particular smoker has three racks and I can cook lots of things at the same time and like the WSM, maintaining a constant temperature is a piece of cake. It's very well insulated cooker and if you have children around, you won't have to worry about them getting burnt from hot surfaces, and they definitely will not be able to knock it over. The Baby weighs in at a slender 275 lbs. It's on high end casters making moving it around a breeze. If you need more information please feel free to PM me. I won't take up anymore of this sites time or space promoting this fine product.

If I was told I had to get rid of all of my grills and smokers, but could have one grill/smoker of my choice, price notwithstanding, I would get the Primo XL Oval. It's a hoss.

Pros: searing high heats, or long, low and slow cooks (all the advantages of a ceramic cooker), US made, a firebox big enough that it can be divided and you can do a two level fire for direct and indirect cooking, the XL size gives you ample grill room for most cooks and it just freaking looks great.

Cons: its not a Weber, its not very portable, and its freaking expensive!

But if you can swing the coin, its a gem. There is a Primo forum over on their website - you can join there and ask the collective for their comments and opinions.

As long as you've got a WSM, you can smoke just about anything short of a whole hog, so you can't go wrong. I agree with an earlier - keep your WSM AND get the Primo. Put the rest of your stuff up for sale here (I'll take that Lodge Hibachi!)

Pat

I would agree with much of what has been said. I have four bge's, and love them. I have thin my weber herd to a performer, gasser, and of course the wsm. Ceramics do not replace my first love in webers. The bge forum can be strange, but if you sit through the drones, there is some good info. There are methods to customize your view to make it more normal. At first glance, it is odd. I would say get the primo if it has a deal. I love my ceramics, they are lump misers, and are very flexible in their operation. The food will be the same. It sounds like you make good food, so I assume that would continue on the primo. If you get it, still hang out here and contribute, the chemistry here is better than any other BBQ forum I frequent. Good luck with your decision.

I don't have a Primo but took a very close look at them and would have gone that direction had I not gone with the my current ceramic. I'll try and answer a couple of your questions:

1) "Sorry for the long intro but my question is how does smoking on a Primo (or any other ceramic FTM) compare to the WSM?"

They're actually very similar in terms of operation; my WSM experience helped greatly when learning to cook on my ceramic. Biggest difference is the fact that the ceramic walls become heat soaked, unit requires less airflow and you use less fuel. Many argue that less airflow = moister product. I've noticed very moist product when using my ceramic. I've yet to foil ribs on my ceramic, I do on my WSM.

2) "I believe the ceramic cooker are great grills but are they great smokers?"

They can hold their own when it comes to smoking, just not very portable. Also if you're thinking about adding smoke wood (you'll never have to add fuel) during a long cook forget it, major PITA.

3) "I guess my main question for the people that have both is- is it as good (or even better)than a WSM for smoking?"

As an owner of both in my opinion they're as good, however, they're also 2 - 4x the cost of a WSM.

My vote would be to keep all the grills/smokers and add the Primo
icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps, feel free PM me if you have any specific questions or if you want a link to my ceramic cooking photo gallery.

I really like the Primo XL. Thing is with the Performer and WSM I really don't NEED one and can't justify the $$ what with all the other things I like to do.

So for me, If I ever decide to move on it I would get it as a replacement for the Performer, not the WSM. Simply because of the option to grill and smoke at the same time when needed.

Can't see that happening any time soon though. The Performer with the cast iron grates just fit the ticket too much to justify retiring it.

I, too, would love to have a Primo XL Oval. The fact that they are made within walking distance of my office doesn't help...I see their facility most everyday.

With that said, I've got (3) WSM's...(2) 18" and one 22". I don't have a problem with them at all. Just this past weekend, I christened the newest (used) 18". A friend of mine picked it up 6+ hours away and delivered it to me. It was kinda moldy. I built a decent fire in it on Saturday morning and let it burn all day while we were at the pool. There was also a 9-1/2 lb butt thawing out.

Saturday night, I filled the ring with RO lump and some hickory chunks. Lit 1/2 chimney of lump, poured it on the full ring, put some AL foil over the water pan, assembled the smoker, took the butt out of the package and put it on. I adjusted the bottom vents to about 20% open, put the lid on and went to bed.

Got up 8 hours later or so and the smoker was sitting at 250°F. The bone would wiggle just a touch. I opened the vents to 100% and let it sit for 3 more hours. Temp rose to 300°F and then dropped to 200°F in the last 20 minutes.

Took the butt off, it was falling apart and perfectly rendered.

What more could I ask for? I tended to absolutely nothing. I opened the top 1 time before removing the meat. I sleep worry-less through the night.

I'd rather spend $1200 on some other stuff right now.

Back