Should I get a big Pit or More WSMs?

Mike Weiss

TVWBB Member
I'm looking for advise. I currently have a bunch of Kettles including 26s as well as WSM's and the 22" WSM. I have not had a capacity problem for competition (including peoples choice) by adding additional racks totaling 4 in the 22" WSM. I do small catering jobs up to 200 or so people. I cook bbq in advance over a couple of days store it in the fridge and reheat on cite in the WSM's. I cook chicken burgers, dogs etc. fresh on kettles. Now I'm on the fence. Do I get a big pit on wheels or a giant enclosed trailer to haul more WSMs and kettles. I can't make up my mind. The Weber products allow me to set up anywhere for a catering job, as well as different smokes for different meats and different temps on different kettles. A big pit would be great for the warming box large one unit capacity etc. I love my stokers and getting sleep while bbq is cooking. As of now both isn't much of an option for the misses. Decisions Decisions.
Any thought would help
Thanks a bunch.

How many 22" WSM do you have/use? What do you mostly serve when you Cater ie Pulled Pork, Brisket, Burgers, Chicken etc. Do you cook longer cooks on-site of party? What do you use for a towing vehicle?

I think it depends on where you see yourself in a few years as well. Sounds likes its growing...so instead of buying a little here and there...bite the bullet. Id look into an enclosed trailer and an FEC cooker of the sort. Trailers can be very affordable if your patient, id look into a concession trailer w/ an FEC an of course have room for the kettle as well. Many options but personally...Id rather have 1 cooker than many. Easier, less room, etc...

Originally posted by Mike Weiss:
The Weber products allow me to set up anywhere for a catering job, as well as different smokes for different meats and different temps on different kettles.

I think that you answered your own question.....

Quick question Mike. I know there's been a lot of "technical" discussions on how to cool and reheat large meats like Brisket and butts, but how do you handle this?

My 18.5" isn't enough capacity for the holidays around my house and it would be a big help if I could cool, then reheat. I've just been so nervous to do so because of all the post about how difficult it is to cool then reheat correctly.

Hi Clay.

Well once way back when I only had an 18, I needed to make some brisket and pulled pork and a lot of ribs for a party. I made a brisket and 3 shoulders on Thursday evening and pulled them at 7am wrapped them all in two layers of heavy duty foil. Oh yeah I pulled em about 180. I took em over to my mother in law's house (since I had to go to my 9 to 5) and told her to put then in the fridge for me after 2 hours once they cooled to room temp. Bright and early on Saturday I stuffed the 18 with ribs. I heated the kettle to about 450-500 with charcoal banked on one side. It took about an hour and a half to get them to about 180 again and they turned out (no lie) just as good as fresh. The stove works too but it takes longer to reheat the meat and at a catering job I don't have a stove. I have wrapped plastic wrap, foiled and then frozen. The plastic wrap will prevent the freezer burn and you can reheat with the plastic wrap inside the foil. Just don't go above 400 and it isn't suppose to melt. When you freeze you do get a taste difference. It's minimal. Like grilling a fresh steak compared to one that has been thawed. The rumor is to only cook to 160 the first time. Since when you reheat you are essentially cooking it again. I like 180 and then reheat to 170 to 180 is fine.
The final temp will depend on the texture. I always reheat it whole then cut or pull. Ribs work the same way and rumor has it that they reheat tasting even better. I usually only refrigerate for less than 5 days. More than that I'll freeze the meat. Like anything it takes some practice. Buy a small sholder and try it out. I knew I would get into catering and I started smoking bbq on Tuesday and Wednesday for the weekend family dinner to practice this.
Happy Cooking!

I think that you have to ask yourself some brutal questions about practicality. If you get a big towed pit you will only be setting up one smoker and tending one fire. That's going to require a lot less trouble than assembling a bunch of smaller smokers (even ones as great as the Weber Bullet).

I look at the price of that Lang on wheels and compare to my 24 x 36 Pitts and Spitts that cost me close to $3K with shipping. That seems like a good solution to me for the money.

Back