Short times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Barlow

TVWBB Super Fan
I've only been able to use my WSM about 5-6 times since I got it a few months ago. I'm getting great results with brisket and butts. But sump'n just ain't right.

While going to specific temperatures, I'm planning time, loosely, at 1 - 1 1/2 hours for brisket, 1 1/2 - 2 hours for butts. I always start late evening to early morning for the next night's dinner. I'm always through too early.

As usual, I put my 10 lb brisket, 6 & 8 lb butts on at 1:30 a.m. Starting with a stable 230?, it dropped to 125 when loading. Brisket on bottom rack. Holding 225? - 230? throughout is no problem.

It took two hours to come back to 230, with a full load of Kingsford, Minion style. I had to open all vents fully. Ambient temp about 45-50?.

I'm assuming a cook to about 4 - 5 p.m. for brisket, 5'ish for the 6lb, and 6-7 for the 8lb.

The brisket hit 200 @ 3 p.m. The butts were at 185.

Horrors! I dropped the rack of butts into the water pan (with water and drippings) when replacing it. RATS! The 8 lb broke in two on impact. It broke again when I tried to pick it up.

The 6 lb broke when I picked it up.

I took all of it inside.

Those butts pulled like a dream, the bone almost falling out. The brisket was perfect, too. All were juicy, great taste, great texture.

What went wrong? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Steady temp, no spikes or hi runs.

Every time I am through much sooner than expected. Ain't complaining, just corn fuzed.

We should all have your problems! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
The fat content in a brisket will have a lot ot do with finish times.
You were only 1 to 2 hours early, you will have a cook that will finish late, it will happen. We can only use time as an aprox guide. That is what makes BBQ interesting.
Jim

Howard,

There's a saying that is very popular on another BBQ forum, I'm sure Jim M has heard it before.
"It's done when it's done." I had a very similar experience the first butt I cooked, it was at 189 alomost 1 1/2 hours before I thought it should be, but it was great.

Howard,
At a cookoff last year, I went to rotate my brisket at the halfway point (18+ hours) and noticed it had all the tendencies and feel of a brisket that was well done. I checked temps and it was 201 degrees--after 9 hours of meticulously monitoring dome temp of 220-230 degrees. I attributed it to the fat content, as it was a well marbled piece of meat.

I have since switched to just using prime grade briskets (I know, some say that is overkill), but the marbling is so complete throughout the meat, that my average cooking time is much closer to 1 hour per pound, or less.

Another factor is the thickness of the meat--which varies from brisket to brisket. Short and plump versus long and skinny can make a big difference in cooking times.

Dale

What do you do when your meat finishes early in competition? Do you reheat prior to presentation or do the judges get it cold (or cool as the case may be)

Dave.....

The best trick is to wrap in foil and store in a dry cooler. Butts and briskets can be held for 4-6 hours this way. Ribs and chicken are much harder and neither holds real well under any conditions.

That is why timing is so critical. You better have your ribs and chicken timed precisely within that 10 minute window.

So far, the only competition I'm in is to fight for the Q with my family and friends. You can get hurt eating with those people.

It'll be a while before I try to do it in a contest. But, some day I will try.

Stogie is right, wrapping in foil, then in towels or newspaper, then into a dry cooler will hold the meat for 4-6 hours just fine.

My problem was this brisket was done at 2:30 am and turn-in was not until 1:30 pm, so I had to hold it for 11 hours. What I did was cool it in an iced cooler for about 8 hours, then put it in the smoker, still wrapped in foil, but with a couple holes punched in the bottom of the foil to let out the excess juices.

The meat was TENDER, but it also was on the dry side. I knew it was not a winner, think I placed about 25th out of 39 teams, so a whole bunch of folks had more problems than I did.

I usually place in the top half of most categories--but not always. So, it was not a total disaster, but it certainly could have been better. That was in Kings Mountain, NC. I return there in three weeks to try again.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back