Short ribs for my bro

Do you like 'em? If the answer to that is yes, then no, you're not wrong! Lots of ways to do all the stuff we cook......just need to figure out which way produces what you like, Tony! :)

R
Yours do look better but then again I usually don't use smoke when it is an inside cook. I will try a lower slower next. Both come out really well. Surprising how many people are shocked at them. Like they have never heard of beef ribs. Not sure why I always cook them together instead of separated. Not sure how much difference cept the ends get more cooked.

Well, 7 hours in now and the WSM is running at 269F after having a few difficulties with temp at the start which I have never had. I haven't wrapped the short ribs but I have spritzed every now and again but I did go out for a couple of hours. Colour looks great and nearly there. Unfortunately the ribs were trimmed a little bit unevenly so one end might be slightly overdone but we shall see. Went for 1 large chunk of cherry and 2 smaller chunks of oak in the end. love the colour that cherry gives. Will post pictures if not embarrassed!
In the end I would have to give myself 8 out of 10 for my first attempt. Smoke ring much more pronounced on the thicker end. All in all about 9 hours.

Attachments

• tempImageoV4RQo.png
    tempImageoV4RQo.png
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • tempImagekslU4O.png
    tempImagekslU4O.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • tempImagefK47I4.png
    tempImagefK47I4.png
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • tempImageBUdQSW.png
    tempImageBUdQSW.png
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 10
  • tempImagetza0EB.png
    tempImagetza0EB.png
    959.3 KB · Views: 10
Those look normal to me, @PDay! GJ!

How did your brother like the beef ribs, @Rich G? I remember the first time I had them after years and years of bbq'ing and I was in heaven!

So, my brother is in town visiting, and, while he's a grilling/smoking afficianado, he has never had smoked short ribs. Knowing he was coming to town, I took advantage of Creekstone's recent sale on prime short ribs (with my KCBS discount added on) to treat him to something good. The cook was boringly the same as previous ones I've done..... ribs trimmed of fat/silverskin, rubbed overnight with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express, then smoked at 230 for 10 hours (wrapped for the last three.) Man, these things are just awesome, easy to cook up, etc, etc! :)

After an hour or two.....

View attachment 35787

Off the grill, ready for a cooler/towel nap......

View attachment 35788

Sliced for service.....

View attachment 35789

We plated this up with roasted cauliflower, and some black beans (per the recipe I made last week with my Instant Pot.) Delicious!

I still need to track down some plate ribs, but, damn, these really hit the spot! Tender, beefy, and coma inducing! :)

R
These look exactly how I think they should.
Nice ring, nice color, right amount of fat in the right places....I bet they were good.
How long was the cook not including your rest time.
I have 2 - 4 bone racks of nice medium thickness center cut beef ribs hanging out I am cooking soon.
It's been so long I forget how long they took me last time. I was considering starting at 8 am to eat around 6 pm.....that's about 8 hours cook and 2 hours cooler time.

Those look normal to me, @PDay! GJ!

How did your brother like the beef ribs, @Rich G? I remember the first time I had them after years and years of bbq'ing and I was in heaven!
Craw, he enjoyed them enough that he took down all the notes/details on the cook, along with the info for Creekstone..... :)
These look exactly how I think they should.
Nice ring, nice color, right amount of fat in the right places....I bet they were good.
How long was the cook not including your rest time.
I have 2 - 4 bone racks of nice medium thickness center cut beef ribs hanging out I am cooking soon.
It's been so long I forget how long they took me last time. I was considering starting at 8 am to eat around 6 pm.....that's about 8 hours cook and 2 hours cooler time.
Thanks, Darryl!

These always seem to take right at 10 hours for me. I usually wrap at about 7 hours. Running at 230F.

I put these on at 6:30a, we went and played golf, visited with my mom, etc. Wrapped at 2:30p (a hour later than usual), and pulled off the grill at 4:30p. They were in the cooler, wrapped in foil, with towels, until about 6:30p (they don't hold nearly as much heat as a brisket or butt, so they were not hot when I sliced them........still plenty warm.)

R

Thanks for the update....I remember them taking longer than I thought last time.
I know its better to start earlier than you think as its easier to leave them in the cooler than rush the meal.
We will 100% start before 8 now..........and use the E6 I think on them. Early in the morning I can get that thing to hover around 235 for a good 3 hours and then get it a bit hotter around 260 for the rest of the cook. We used peach wood last brisket and hours of that is a nice mellow flavor.
Maybe some peach and pecan or something......thanks again I will be sure to share beef ribs when they are done.

Smoking a Short Rib Plate is by far my favorite. Yours look great. I always underestimate the length of time they need on the WSM. I've got 2 plates in my freezer calling my name now. I think that may have to be my labor day smoke, followed up by short rib chili if there is any leftovers.

Back