Short on time for opinions but…

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I just pulled a NY strip out of the freezer and considering Sous Vide cookery for dinner tonight. The thing is still frozen but, what is the consensus o getting that in water (vacuum bagged already) and letting that run at 125 followed by a quick sear? Just cleaned off the kettle but, I don’t know if a cold water thaw will be sufficient to have dinner before it’s way too late for grilling the whole thing. Opinions?

Thanks, wife prefers her cow really dead so, I’m sucking it up and going 130 for maybe 2 hours, about 1 3/4” thick. Will sear in screaming hot CI skillet to finish. New ground for me.
If it was warmer than 4 degrees, I would fire the Vortex off. I did go out and clean the kettle off but, I was pretty cold by the time I got that done, I just wanted to be back inside!

I just pulled a NY strip out of the freezer and considering Sous Vide cookery for dinner tonight. The thing is still frozen but, what is the consensus o getting that in water (vacuum bagged already) and letting that run at 125 followed by a quick sear? Just cleaned off the kettle but, I don’t know if a cold water thaw will be sufficient to have dinner before it’s way too late for grilling the whole thing. Opinions?

Too late for your timing, but I often buy steaks in bulk at Costco. I'll season them and put then 1-2 per bag, sealed w/ the Foodsaver, then into the freezer. From there, it's an hour or two in SV, then over to the grill.

I don't think seasoning a steak (or anything for that matter) prior to freezing is a very good idea. I especially eschew the salt brining thing as well. Every time I have tried it my steaks turn out absolutely awful with a strange texture more like "leather" than steak. BTW while I buy a lot of meat at Costco I do not buy cut steaks. Because of their insistence on blade tenderizing. I only buy the whole primal of what I want. IOW if I want strips I buy a whole prime NY primal and butcher it myself. I get steaks cut the way I want them (1.5 to 1.75") thick, I use the nerve end by making a nice strip roast, and I get some nice trim for burger meat or stir fry. I do the same with tenderloin or rib steaks. If I want individual steak I will buy them from Sam's as they don't mess them up by blade tenderizing or our little meat and grocery shop right in our village (Cattle & Cream). One day I am going to have to learn how to do a whole sirloin. But, for the time being, I only do tenderloins, strips and rib primals

.............I especially eschew the salt brining thing as well. Every time I have tried it my steaks turn out absolutely awful with a strange texture more like "leather" than steak........ I get steaks cut the way I want them (1.5 to 1.75") thick..................
^^^^This. 👍
I've tried various weird and wonderful ways of cooking, (& ruining), a steak. And IMO the best way, hands down, a little bit of kosher salt then chuck it on the grill. Sear both sides & then move indirect to desired IT. It's that simple. Of course you have to start with a quality product, & buy the best you can afford.
I never order steak in a restaurant anymore, unless I visit The Steak Barn, which is about a two hour drive away, right next to St. Andrews Old Course.

I, too have found that putting coarse salt and coarse pepper on just before grilling is better than dry brining, whether for an hour or longer.

I, too have found that putting coarse salt and coarse pepper on just before grilling is better than dry brining, whether for an hour or longer.
I think it depends on the steak’s thickness.

My hand cut NY’s were around 2” thick each and I sometimes leave them exposed overnight in the fridge and the next day will salt them and countertop brine them for 30-45 mins before cooking them.

Plenty of time for the salt to penetrate and the beef to absorb the salt.

The only beef that does really well overnight dry brined is a brisket. It’s such a huge cut and thich that it really benefits from the dry cure and fully air exposed in the fridge.

And chicken too, skin on, does really well salted and exposed overnight.

I think it depends on the steak’s thickness.

My hand cut NY’s were around 2” thick each and I sometimes leave them exposed overnight in the fridge and the next day will salt them and countertop brine them for 30-45 mins before cooking them.

Yep. Still less than an hour - and certainly not 12-24 hours!

Of course, the exceptions you mentioned are noted.

One of these days I'll try dry-brining a chicken overnight in the fridge and see if it's worth it.

I've tried it. Honestly just don't get it. The meat texture changes (doesn't matter chicken, beef what have you) in a way I find most "unpleasant". Yeah it's "seasoned" but the texture becomes just plain weird. Won't bother again.

I've tried it. Honestly just don't get it. The meat texture changes (doesn't matter chicken, beef what have you) in a way I find most "unpleasant". Yeah it's "seasoned" but the texture becomes just plain weird. Won't bother again.

Wait a minute! You're the guy with the wife who likes her steaks to match your charcoal. Are you sure the problem isn't elsewhere? 😝

Back