Shipping Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Barineau

TVWBB Super Fan
WSM arrived today. Only shipping damage was bent "ear" on one bottom vent, so I straightened it with pliers. I later noticed that the vent which was damaged does not fit tight like the others and I can foresee how that could be a problem in the future. I hate to hit Weber up for such small damage but I probably will. Just wanted to see what some of the "old hats" might think.

Tom,

If the vent would not hold it's position either closed, open, 1/2 way, then I would call Weber and have them send me a new bottom section. they'll probably do that and tell you to keep the one you got. If it works, however, I would just go ahead and use it.

Tom, when I got mine and did an inspection, noticed the porcelin enamel was chipped on the rim of the charcoal bowl, and I too felt a little guilty for calling weber, but I felt in time, the chip would rust, so I called them. They had no problem what so ever sending me a new charcoal bowl, and I got to keep my old one. The new one sits up in my attic awaiting the rust. Weber truely is a quality company. A+ for customer satisfaction.

The damper is concave and should fit flush to the body of the bowl. If it does not and you believe this was caused during shipping, I would call Weber at 800-446-1071 at tell them the damper was mangled during shipping and ask for a new bowl.

Regards,
Chris

Well--called Weber today and was somewhat surprised when they said they would only send me a new vent. Told them that the vents were riveted on and they said they were replacable. Guess I'll see what they send and how well I can make it work--so much for my brand new WSM. (I may not be done with them yet, though.)

Tom,

FYI...You are gonna have to drill that rivet out in order to replace that vent. I don't know what Weber plans on sending you but for it to be "like new," you would have to pop rivet it back in. I don't know how you feel about doing either of those things.

Me personally, if you can't get any satisfaction from Weber (which would be rare from what I understand) then I'd send the whole thing back and order another one. You paid too much money for it not to be exactly like you want it.

Weber should really look into re-working the way they pack the WSM. Seems to me they could save themselves a pretty good wad of cash and improve the quality of their product by doing so.
-------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Tom,

I would call them back. You may have got hold of someone that really doesn't understad that the vents are rivited on. When you look at the parts diagram for the WSM at weber.com, the diagram shows the vents as being replacable. We know they are riveted on. If you try to drill that one out, and put a new vent on it may work but not as good as the original IMO. Check out Chris' work on the Red Bullet project: red bullet

He drilled out the existing rivets and used ss hex head screws to put them back in place, but there was some play and he had to use tinfoil gasketing to make it work like the original.

When I got my WSM, my bowl was out of round. Usually it's the center section that does this, and this defect was odd. They made me send my bowl back to them, but they paid for shipping. The new bowl was perfect and the unit works great now.

Called Weber back just now and talked to someone else. I believe she was the person advising the first person I talked to because she remembered being asked about it. Said that she owned a WSM and the vents were bolted on so they were sending a vent,bolt, washer and acorn nut. We kept on until she told me some vents are riveted and some are bolted. (True?) Told her that MINE is RIVETED. Finally told her that I'm no mechanic, but send the vent and when I screwed the bowl up trying to drill the SOB out I'd just be calling back madder than ever. She finally agreed to send me a new bowl UPS. Thanks guys, for the ammunition--I used it and I think it helped. I feel better now. I'll be cooking ribs tomorrow!!
Tom - Seminole at Lake Seminole

Hello Tom...

I know you will enjoy your new smoker... Your post is a perfect example of the help and education you can obtain from this bulletin board.
I have been smoking meat for years and really didn't realize how much I didn't know about the art until I found this room...

Welcome and make yourself at home... BTY please let me know when the fish are biting on the Lake...lol...

CHEERS!!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I had the same issue with one of my bottom vents not holding as tight as the other two. I took a pair of needle nosed plyers, closed the loose vent and applied enough pressure with the tip over the holes to make three small indentions. When opening, the indentions hold against the metal enough to keep the vent tight. It now holds tighter than the other two. Hope this helps if you haven't already drilled out the rivit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back