Sherry for Cooking???

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
I need to get some Sherry for cooking, mainly for cream soups and or a bisque. I'm guessing something on the sweetish side? but... I drink BEER!, I have no freaking clue when it comes to grapes.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Thanks, B

Bryan I usually just use Taylor Dry Sherry. I have used Dubonet, but that's just because there was a bottle around.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Taylor Dry Sherry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan,

I have used Taylor and it works fine. Better quality sherries are usually only a few dollars more then the cheapest ones, and are worth it.
I keep my opened sherries in the refrig (don't know why, but just a habit I have).

Ray

Sherries range from dry to sweet and you can spend from a few dollars per bottle on up. You might start with a relatively inexpensive sherry and see how you like the flavor. Do not buy 'cooking sherry'; it has salt added and is just nasty.

Paul

Me too. I usually prefer cheaper stuff (sherries, brandies, wines, portos) for cooking when the effort is to add a little flavor during cooking or at finish. Occasionally I will use more expensive stuff for some things but rarely wines.

Back