SFA - Ya'll gotta see this!

I awoke this morning and quickly jumped on the site to check for any more responses to my rib/lump post, while doing so, I checked this post on a whim...I did not get to read the morning paper, but I did get to see this incredible video. Watch it.

Thanks Charles, yet furthering my appreciation for good BBQ, which I didn't think was possible.

Dave,
I hope you take the time to explore other parts of the SFA site. I'm currently reading"Southern Food Primer", which starts...
John Egerton writes, “Within the South itself, no other form of cultural expression, not even music, is as distinctly characteristic of the region as the spreading of a feast of native food and drink before a gathering of kin and friends. For as long as there has been a South, and people who think of themselves as Southerners, food has been central to the region’s image, its personality, and its character." – Southern Food

I found this site several years ago, and commented on it then, but they have revamped it and it looks great. They have also done numerous interviews with pitmasters and BBQ joint owners.

(I'm not affiliated).

Charles,

Thanks so much for directing my attention to this film. I grew up southern in eastern NC where whole hog over wood was the only way to cook pork. The smell, the taste, the sense, everything is as clear in my memory as anything. Watching this film reminded me of the men and places where I was raised. I agree: whole hog, whole wood, and simple seasoning is the best, but until I have a pit I'll make do with my WSM. Thanks again for the memories and the reminder.

Really good video on BBQ, one of the best I’ve seen. I watched it while my butt creeped up the last few degrees.

Edit
I had to use firefox to see the vid , couldn’t get it to work in IE

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
Dave,
I hope you take the time to explore other parts of the SFA site. I'm currently reading"Southern Food Primer", which starts...
John Egerton writes, “Within the South itself, no other form of cultural expression, not even music, is as distinctly characteristic of the region as the spreading of a feast of native food and drink before a gathering of kin and friends. For as long as there has been a South, and people who think of themselves as Southerners, food has been central to the region’s image, its personality, and its character." – Southern Food

I found this site several years ago, and commented on it then, but they have revamped it and it looks great. They have also done numerous interviews with pitmasters and BBQ joint owners.

(I'm not affiliated). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I'm going through the site, really great. Learning a lot of the culture of Barbecuing in the south.

Thanks again for directing toward this site.

I have really enjoyed this site for some time now... I think CUD is probably one of my favorite videos...

Though I live here in Texas, born in the swamps in Louisiana, I have to say that I spent half my life in Miss... Man there is some of the best little eating joints in the world...

Charles,

Thank you very much for sharing this link. What a fantastic slice of Americana! Also thanks for providing the heads-up re SFA, which is new to this "westerner" and transplanted Yankee. Unfortunately, like so many of our past traditions, it looks like this art form and life style is under possible threat of possible extinction. It makes me want to visit as soon as possible.

Thanks again,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Graz:
I too could not see the vid </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's still working.
[650th post!! Whooohah!!]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lonnie Mac:
I have really enjoyed this site for some time now... I think CUD is probably one of my favorite videos... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That Dude's somethin' ain't he?
I really like the video about that catfish restaraunt where ya hafta wait 2 hours to get a seat, and they don't mind. THAT'S THE SOUTH.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Mosher:
Charles,

Thank you very much for sharing this link. What a fantastic slice of Americana! Also thanks for providing the heads-up re SFA, which is new to this "westerner" and transplanted Yankee. Unfortunately, like so many of our past traditions, it looks like this art form and life style is under possible threat of possible extinction. It makes me want to visit as soon as possible.

Thanks again, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ain't wrong Paul. The ol' timey places are few an far between. It's dangerous, can't get insurance, cheaper to use an electric smoker (ick!)an most people'll think it's good barbecue.
Come see me an I'll take you to Scott's and Latham's (which is right here in Jackson) where they still do it right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Mosher:
Charles,

Thanks again, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ain't wrong Paul. The ol' timey places are few an far between. It's dangerous, can't get insurance, cheaper to use an electric smoker (ick!)an most people'll think it's good barbecue.
Come see me an I'll take you to Scott's and Latham's (which is right here in Jackson) where they still do it right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a great and tempting offer Charles! I've been to Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville, but never Jackson. I'm definitely putin a visit on my bucket list for sure.

I'm unable to get it also. All I get is a box with a red X in the middle. Must be what my computer is set to receive.I guess.

I can't see the film either. There is a note on the website that says "To view SFA films online, use Mozilla Firefox or Safari Web browsers."

I tried Safari, and it didn't work either....something about an Adobe Shockwave plug-in was needed. I will try to play around with it later I guess. Too nice of a day to fight with the PC!!

Back