Seven Bone Steak Chili

David Savona

TVWBB Member
I did a search for seven bone steak, and didn't find anything, so I thought I'd share the results of my smoke on Superbowl Sunday. I was making chili and doing a few racks of ribs, so I rubbed a seven bone steak (maybe a half inch thick) with chili powder, salt and pepper and threw it in the smoker for about 1 1/2 hours. Smoked it with a 50/50 mix of pecan and hickory at 220-240. After the 1 1/2 hours I chopped it up and threw it in the chili pot for a 2-hour braise.

Came out great. I'm eating it now.

Anyone else ever smoke a 7-bone steak?

No, it's a cheaper cut of steak that I've used a bunch for chili. It has lots of bones that look somewhat like a no. 7, which gives it the name. Very flavorful, but tough, so it's pretty good on the smoker.

Seven bone steak, or 7 bone roast is part of the beef shoulder if my memory serves me. I think Alton Brown gave a good explanation of it in one of his shows. Gets it's name from the shape of the bone in the cut, not how many bones! It may have been Alton's pot roast show where he discussed it. It's a nice cut. A little tough, but great flavor when you grill it. Can be bbq'd on the WSM. I did one and it pulled like a pork shoulder at 195 degrees. Real good!

The 7 bone roast is the front shoulder (corresponding to the pork butt). The "7" does come from the shape of the cross cut section of the shoulder blade. It has a lot of connective tissue so it is not a real popular cut for kitchen cooking but it is great cooked low and slow. I know that the "steak" is really a thin cut roast so I suppose it smokes quick. I've smoked a few 7 bone roasts (they were about three inches thick)and they have turned out great. I'll have to give the 7 bone steak a try.

Never tried the 7-bone roast, but I think that would be even better. The "steak" would have been overdone if I had left it on much longer, because it was so thin.

Back