Serving Pork at Party: Help please

Joe Harold

I have two doubled-ziplock freezer bags of frozen pulled pork that I would like to share at a Christmas Party Thursday night. I was planning to make little finger sandwiches and take them to the party already assembled, and still warm, if possible.
My questions are: What is the best way to defrost/ reheat this meat since it is not in one of those fancy foodsaver bags? Should I go ahead and take it out of the freezer (and put in fridge)today? Each bag contains about 3 lbs of meat, fyi.
Also, should I heat the meat before putting in the sandwiches, or build the sandwiches and heat them in the oven...
Should I bring sauce and set it to the side, or dribble on the sandwich?
I'm just hoping to share my new hobby with others; the meat was great last weekend and I want to ensure it will still be tasty when I serve it up tomorrow.
Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Harold:
I have two doubled-ziplock freezer bags of frozen pulled pork that I would like to share at a Christmas Party Thursday night. I was planning to make little finger sandwiches and take them to the party already assembled, and still warm, if possible.
My questions are: What is the best way to defrost/ reheat this meat since it is not in one of those fancy foodsaver bags? Should I go ahead and take it out of the freezer (and put in fridge)today? Each bag contains about 3 lbs of meat, fyi.
Also, should I heat the meat before putting in the sandwiches, or build the sandwiches and heat them in the oven...
Should I bring sauce and set it to the side, or dribble on the sandwich?
I'm just hoping to share my new hobby with others; the meat was great last weekend and I want to ensure it will still be tasty when I serve it up tomorrow.
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would take the bags out of the freezer now and put them into the fridge, they will thaw pretty quick. Or if you want to really thaw them fast, put them into a pot of cold water and change the watear every 30 minutes until the meat is thawed. Then I would reheat the pork in a crock pot with a little apple cider or sauce, whatever you prefer. Then make the sandwiches on site, or put the rolls out and let the guests make their own sandwiches straight from the crock pot. This will keep the meat hot and moist, as well as prevent the rolls from becoming soggy.

Search "reheating pulled pork" and you'll find plenty of info on reheating it.

If your party is tomorrow, I'd get the frozen PP in the fridge today.

As for serving, I'd serve reheated PP in a pan/serving dish, put the buns in a basket and serve sauce(s) on the side. Putting everything in the oven will likely result in very crisp buns and cold pork.

Back