Semi-Productive Week

Nice job Dave. They look awesome. I did one E310 as well but the problem is the rust. I "only" had to replace the floor on mine and the parts are expensive. It is hard to find one with the cabinet not rusted to a certain degree.

Stefan. I agree. Aside from the bottom panel and sometimes sides and back panel, they are good rehab grills. But, a lot of times, those problems are deal breakers unless you are prepared for a lot of rust repair work or have access to spare parts, or have an inexpensive source for replacements. I can get about 20% more for them than I can a Silver B/C or Genesis 1000/3000.

It is hard to find one with the cabinet not rusted to a certain degree.

Not sure why, but I have not ran into very many of those yet. I have flipped about 20-25 of these and have only had one
that was rusted through. That one was a mess, and I parted out. The black has a spot on the side, and the blue and beige
(what color is that exactly?) are rust free. Likely stored inside.

Yes I agree. They sell better. They don't look as "old-fashioned" as the classic Silver or x000 and blend in better with the newer style grills.

Not sure why, but I have not ran into very many of those yet. I have flipped about 20-25 of these and have only had one
that was rusted through. That one was a mess, and I parted out. The black has a spot on the side, and the blue and beige

I have had four in hand so far and one was just a mess (parts grill), one was bad, but not so bad I could not fix it with a lot of grinding, sanding, priming and painting. The other two still required some rust remediation, but on a limited and spot basis. How they are stored and maintained will have a big affect on that.

Of course, I won't buy a grill for much more than $50, so in essence, I will have to expect those kinds of issues.

I agree it really depends on how they are stored. These covers often do more bad than good if they are not taken off regularly. Moisture is building up underneath. A friend of mine has one. Always stored outside and under a cover. But they also use it a lot so the cover comes off at least once a week. Hardly any rust on it. Then other ones just rot away from the bottom.

I agree. I used to put a Weber Cover on my Q100 on the deck, but every time I took it off, there was moisture under it, between the hood and the lid. It was not a worn out cover either. It just held in and condensed the moisture with the grill getting hot and cold as the sun heated up in the day time and it cooled in the evenings. Every day, more moisture condensing under the cover is not a good thing for a grill. I now simply put a large tote over the grill. Looks stupid, but keeps the rain out and allows it to breath all day/night. The CI grates on those Q grills will be happier for sure.

The covers are great if they are well vented, but where ever they lay flat against a surface, you are likely to have a problem. The newer covers don't have the venting on them like the older ones did.

Last edited:

Here in Florida most of them are a total mess. Occasionally you find one that was kept inside but they command much higher prices, understandably.

2rw1h7d.jpg

352oh76.jpg

fvvhuo.jpg

Last edited:
I kind of have to laugh just a little as many here refer to units made by say CharBroil as Chinese rust buckets. So what are these called?

I kind of have to laugh just a little as many here refer to units made by say CharBroil as Chinese rust buckets. So what are these called?

Yep, you make a good point. I guess I would call it a compromise inspired by the bean counters. If they had used the same 304 stainless as they did on their immediately preceding Platinum grills, these would have earned a great reputation. I may be an accountant but I try my hardest not to think like a bean counter:eek:!

These marketing and budgeting guys need to take a bigger picture of their businesses some times. Sure, Weber could sell a ton of grills for huge profits if they use cheap parts and labor. But that would only last a few years until the consumer catches on and their sales start to plummet and their hard earned reputation takes a big hit. In fact, I think Weber has gone that route to a degree already. They are still huge players in the gas grill market, but if they continue to put lower quality products for too long, they will lose that reputation and become another Charbroil or Nexgrill.
I dont really have any experience with the Gen II grills, but they seemed to really take a step back in the E3xx generation with the cabinets especially. It wasn't like they didn't have some indication that those kinds of materials for an enclosed cabinet were not a good idea. The late Silver B's and C's had the same issue and they didn't seem to learn from that.

You know really, other than the Vieluxe, the only grills Weber got the cabinet right was the first Summit and the Platinum version of the second generation Summit. It would seem so very obvious, but high grade stainless costs more, so I am sure the bean counters vetoed it. A darker interpretation is that they don’t want grills to last for decades and design them to fail and be replaced.

Yah, I was thinking about that earlier today. I have a feeling the engineers build a part and then are tasked to determine the life expectancy of that part which the "bean counters" then use to determine how long that part will be warrantied. And, like you mention, I think Weber has designed their grills to last for about 10 years or slightly longer at which time the life expectancy of the major components and coincidentally the warranty on those parts will have ended.

The wife and I went to a concert last night, and I have a dental appointment
this afternoon, so I took a rare day off from work. These old Webers aren't going
to refurb themselves, so I have to make some progress whenever possible.
20 degrees this morning, a little snow on the ground, and some grinder dust on
the face.

EuFBgoYl.jpg

GSsTXSWl.jpg

Dave, you are a better man than me. However, I have to go out and do a little work on a grill this afternoon. I need to part one out and pack much of it up for shipping. Temps should hit low thirties this afternoon with sun, so that should be tolerable.

I am still thinking about getting one of those Jawhorses. How do you like yours?

Last edited:

Back