Selling your BBQ from the front yard?

Troy S

TVWBB Fan
I have 0.0003% of an expectation that this will or can happen due to the prospective amount of hoops I'd have to jump through to do it, buuut it is a nice thought and something to fantasize about before I go to bed at night. :wsm:

I live 150 or so yards away from a recreation park. There's two fields (soccer and baseball/softball) along with a pool, a tennis court, an indoor basketball court and an indoor gym. There's even a picnic area on top of a mountain. Anyway, right across the road from the rec park is where our (my) family owns land. There is my grandmother's house. She passed away five years ago. However, her front yard is in walking distance from the parking lot of the rec park.

With that said, the other day when I completed my first WSM smoke, my neighbor (whose company I enjoy!) came over along with a couple of people he knew from the rec park. I offered them some of the food I cooked (they tried out some of the bologna, pork loin and chicken) and they loved it. My neighbor planted the idea in my head about selling BBQ from my grandmother's yard and how people would be lining up for some 'Q. The rec park stays busy all summer long, and I can *imagine* that being a lucrative, fun -- albeit hard work -- endeavor.

Buuut I know, I know, it's just a pipe dream, because what all would I need to do to make it a reality anyway?

~ Get a business license?
~ Even though we (my family) own the land (not the park side, but our side), we've been considered 'town limits' for a while now.
~ Become ServSafe certified??

What other kind of hoops would I have to jump through to do this? Would it be a colossal expense? I would absolutely love to do something like this, but it seems like a fantasy more than a reality given all the things I'd have to do.

Does anyone have any thoughts or expertise with/about this? Thanks!

Been discussed many times here. Sanitation, health issues, licenses, insurance (in case someget gets poisoned or claims to), etc etc etc.

I tried to search for the threads but the search engine on this forum sucks. I tried searching for "sanitation" and it came up "nothing found" . It didn't even find this thread so it shows how useless search is.

Last edited:
Hotdog stands tend to be the plentiful around here, and there are web sites devoted to this fare. One thing that stood out to me at one web site mentioned the possibility of selling more than just dogs, and a long-time pro said that nothing sells as good as a hotdog, or is as easy to prepare. Any other food is just not that profitable, he said.

Course, that doesn't mean it can't be done, and there are some food trucks in these parts that sell almost anything - including BBQ.

I sure do appreciate the input from the both of y'all. Thanks a bunch.

While I'd love to, it sounds like a money racket. It was a nice fantasy, though, and would have been nice to do this summer. Even though I live in a tiny town, the recreation park stays as crowded as can be.

I sure do appreciate the input from the both of y'all. Thanks a bunch.

While I'd love to, it sounds like a money racket. It was a nice fantasy, though, and would have been nice to do this summer. Even though I live in a tiny town, the recreation park stays as crowded as can be.

I doubt it'd be all that expensive, wish I knew which way to steer you. Maybe call the health department & business licencing division in your city just to talk.

I know you don't want to put up an easy-up & start selling, you'll have some visitors asking to see your permit/license before long. Liability insurance isn't that much, business licenses aren't that much.

Call the city!

Back