Seems like many people stick with BRITU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I agree it's a tasty way to do ribs, but there are many other tasty variations to baby backs. A big part of the fun of cooking to me is experimentation. And not to take away from the BRITU '96 winner, but that is still just one competition that happened 8 years ago. In other words many other competitions have been won since with different recipes.

I encourage people to experiment and have fun, try something new. Try searing first, or after. Try removing the lateral meat. Try foil. Try different woods. Try carmelizing the glaze at the end. Try different glaze, or none at all. Try different rubs, maybe one to start and a different one to finish. Try different temperatures or times. Try an Esatern style, Indonesian, Southwestern, Indian.

Have fun with your ribs!

Try the "Sugarless Texas Sprinkle Barbecue Rub" posted in the Pork section of the Cooking topics. I cooked both of them simulatneously and the Texas Sprinkle won hands down based on my friends opinions.

Jason your words ring true.
I personally don't like BRITU but that comes down to taste. In competition 6 people collectively decide the winner. This DOES NOT mean the ribs were even the best there. A lot of people do like that recipe though. do what you like best.

This has probably been answered before, but if the BRITU won in '96...is there a site that lists the winners in 97,98,99,00,01,02,03?

There should exist at least 7 "best in show" recipes that should conjure up variety in baby back ribs.

Experimentation, that is how George Stephen started it all!!

I have not done it yet, but will soon. I think alot of people just starting like to have something as a good base to guage how it is to use their WSM. There is a ton of 1st hand accounts on how the ribs were smoked and the easy to follow step by step instructions in the cooking section. I too would be intrested in knowing what is currently winning contests.

I feel that the reason people stick with BRITU is that it's a proven winner. Everything else is unknown. People come here and the majority of our community likes it and nothing is better than unbiased opinion. I personally didn't like the BRITU recipe but thats just me. I have to agree with Jason. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and try something new. Sure you're going to make a few bombs but thats all apart of learning.

Changes I've made so far to BRITU:

- I don't like to leave the rub on much more than an hour prior to cooking (reduces "hammy" taste to wife and I)
- I like less sugar
- I like a bit less salt
- I like more cayenne
- I like more rub total to increase bark
- I add rub a little bit before I take the cooked ribs off the WSM
- I add cumin to my rub
- I use a different sauce
- Sometimes I carmelize the glaze on the ribs before serving

Next on the agenda is to try rubbing the ribs with crushed garlic before cooking. I used to do this with my grill ribs and liked it a lot. Granulated powder is okay but fresh garlic has essential aromatic oils also.

(P.S. - I'd also like to see other winning recipes but bet most winners are reluctant to share theor secrets.)

I found this string interesting. I just finished doing two slabs of BB yesterday. Of course I had to try the BRITU on one slab, and did a foiling technique on the other. Couple comments:

BRITU was "hammy". I'll try Jason's advice of less time/salt.

I really don't care for KC Masterpiece and even doctored a bit, it still didn't do it for me (and my guests).

Mine seemed to dry out a bit. It took them a solid 5 hours to tug properly, but too much of the rack seemed dried up to me.

My foiled ribs were TOO tender. Meat would hardly stay on the bone. I think I left them in foil too long (was suppose to be 45m, ended up being 75mins cause I got distracted entertaining guests).

The consensus of the guests was the FOILED ribs were better! I take this as a challenge to revisit my approach to the unfoiled version as I thought the foiled ribs were TOO tender for .

I also can not find a commercial BBQ sauce that makes me happy. I think it has to do with the fact that many of them add "smoke" flavor to the sauce. I'm happy with the smoke I get out of the WSM, I don't need extra.

In the end, experimentation is the key. Guest were all pleased, but they were far from perfect in my mind. I'll be happy to keep trying.

One thing that really ruins a recipe for me is onion salt or powder blah! but that is just my own taste.

I don't mind the taste of onion, but have long since stopped using it in rubs. Even in airtight containers, its presence always seems to turn the powder into rock.

Jason, I do like that rub with crushed garlic idea. I'll give it a try on the next batch.

I think BRITU may ahve been the worst rack of ribs I have ever made. I make all of my own rubs and sauces and like to customize it my own taste. I think that if you dont experiment you miss out on making own personal best batch of ribs and BBQ.

I have never done the BRITU recipe. Just looked too salty to me.

In the "Recipe Questions & Requests" section there was reference made to a BBQ FAQ website under "alt.food.barbecue Recipe Archive". It has a recipe archive that has a lot of great recipes, some for ribs, some award-winning. Check it out - BBQ FAQ recipe archive scroll to the bottom for the archive part 1 and part 2.

On thing of note which someone may have mentioned. A little research as to what is good to go with what always helps. If you just start throwing stuff in there because "you like that herb" might not always come out like you want.

I believe Steve's rubs and sauces book is a good place to start.

Joe Mac...

You have experienced a phenom that many BBQ folks miss......The VAST majority of folks like fall off the bone tender.

No matter what WE think, folks will always prefer them the more tender they are. I will not try and "educate" them to the fact these are really overcooked.

So, I make them tender. And yes, foiling will help greatly in that regards.

Jason,

From another perspective.... the BRITU recipe on this forum allowed newbies like me to cook very tasty ribs from day one. No experimentation, no fuss, no muss - just good food.

-Albert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I also can not find a commercial BBQ sauce that makes me happy. I think it has to do with the fact that many of them add "smoke" flavor to the sauce. I'm happy with the smoke I get out of the WSM, I don't need extra.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Joe Mac - suggest you try the Bour-B-Q sauce in the Smoke & Spice cookbook. We had it last night and thought it was outstanding, certainly better than the BRITU sauce. IMO.

I have never tried the BRITU method- call me lazy. I usually just put a rub on them for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours, then smoke them for 5 hours (baby backs).

And Jim Warren, where do I get Head Country rubs and sauces?

I'm another one who has never cooked the BRITU the EXACT way that it is described. For starters, I never even had the WSM until this past Christmas, and I have been on the site since last July. Like many others, I did it as close as I could the first time, and have been doing slight variations ever since. I tend to use less salt, more dry mustard, more garlic, no MSG, and I never bother to dry the brown sugar.

Even if they don't turn out exactly as planned, everyone who tries them (with one exception) has told me they were the best ribs they have ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back