second water pan for drippings

AaronJob

Hi just picked up my wsm on the weekend. Wondering if anyone use a second pan . I used to catch my drippings on my weber kettle and use it to make gravy. Would it effect the cook or would the pan juices be too smokey. Thanks

Aaron, Welcome to the forum and the WSM owners club!

I think some people will simply foil the WSM water bowl and use that to catch drippings for gravy and the like. My fear however is that the proximity to the charcoal would cause the drippings to burn so I have not tried it. What I have had success doing is using a foil pan on the lower cooking grate to catch drippings to use for gravy. Turned out pretty well I think and it wasn't too smokey that I remember (it's been a while). I didn't really have any impact on the cook (other than I couldn't use the lower grate) as far as the time or finished product.

Aaron, drippings will definitively affect the flavour because they will burn.
In the WSM.
So, remove water pan and use instead a foiled pizza pan. Put a disposable pan with a layer of ash over the pizza pan and a small muffin pan filled with water over the meat grate.
This is my setup and works perfectly for m.
No more off flavour

Using the water pan to catch drippings to make gravy is a no-go, they will burn. Drippings burn on my water pan even when I have it covered in foil. A second pan on the lower rack may work, but it also might get to hot with the long smokes. I would try a doubled up pan, or a smaller pan in a larger one ( kind of like a double boiler ) to add a little more air / heat deflection.

I usually just go with a pan of beans to catch my drippings in.

Back