Mark Barton

TVWBB Super Fan
For the past two days, I have been seasoning my WSM 18.5, using Phase 2 of Harry Soo's seasoning method. I understand that seasoning is not strictly necessary, but I wanted to try to learn to regulate the temp with older meat before actually cooking something expensive. Keeping the temperature steady proved to be a challenge. For both sessions, I tried to keep it at 275. Things I kind of got away from me on Friday, but I did better today. It's going to take while.

1. Starting with the modified Minion method / Soo's donut. Used three chunks of apple wood on Friday, but just one today.
soos%20donut_zpsnjr6icuu.jpg

2. The WSM is coming up to temp. Surprisingly, there is almost no leakage around the stock door! I had been thinking about getting a Cajun Bandit door, but may wait on that. However, there does seem to be some leakage around the lid. Any opinions on the need for a gasket in my case?
wsm%20heating%20up_zpsu3n1hw2y.jpg

3. The Maverick ET732 sitting on an upside down flower pot. (I let my ex have all the iron furniture, so I still need to buy some kind of table or stand.) You might think the foil is a heat shield, but it's not. It's actually a sun shield because the direct Arizona summer sun is quite intense. I thought the foil might interfere with the Maverick's reception, but it didn't. The food probe was not used because I'm still in the seasoning phase and wanted to focus on learning to control the barbecue temp.
maverick%20sun%20shield_zpsd4xqqwc8.jpg

4. First seasoning cook - Friday! I used a 20oz package of ground Pork that was on sale for $1.89 at Walmart. Also threw on a package of Costco bacon. I doubled up the strips because it would be on the smoker a while. Even though this was for seasoning, and not for eating, I was disappointed in the results. I left these on way too long - about 3.5 hours. I also used three fist-sized apple wood chunks. The bacon looked good at first, but when I got it in the house, most of it was charred. The ground Pork actually tasted like charcoal. :(
bacon%20and%20ground%20pork_zpsibyuxfme.jpg

5. Second seasoning cook - Saturday. Cooked a foot long fattie! It's just a big Jimmy Dean sausage from Costco that I simply took out of the wrapper an plopped on the grill grate. I also used a half package of Costco Bacon, with the strips doubled up. The photo was taken about 1:15 minutes into the cook. I took the bacon out early because I wanted something at least edible, regardless of seasoning. Gotta say, the bacon tasted good.
fattie%20and%20bacon_zpsp2rxjv5o.jpg

foot%20long%20fatigue%20and%20bacon_zpsutdxr8pl.jpg

6. Took the foot long fattie out after 2.5 hours. I was going to throw the sausage away, but I tasted a slice, and it was fantastic. I decided to eat some for lunch and keep the rest for later. :)
Cooked%20Sausage_zpsr7dgf25s.jpg

Sausage%20smoke%20ring_zpsyyivd67q.jpg

Any thoughts on my probe placement? I tried to keep it in the center of the grill grate.

looks GREAT!
I don't worry about probe placement... in fact, I only use the dome therm for guidance.

...let my ex have all the iron furniture
they can be a pain in the tush at times...

I was going to throw the sausage away...
why would you consider this without tasting it first? It looks PREFECT!

Looks great. I try to put the temp probe on the under side of the top grate since that's pretty close to the thermal center of the cooking area. The temps may be a bit higher at the top grate or lower at the bottom (assuming the water pan is in place), but it gives a good average reading.

Also, I usually just hang the Maverick on the lip of the middle section. If you hang it, then slide the lid to pinch the hanger, it keeps the body of the Maverick from coming in contact with the cooker. Although I see your point about the need for sun shade, but I bet you could still make it work.

You'll get there, that sausage looks great! There is a learning curve to the WSMs. I've got my 14.5 nailed but I'm still not totally warm and fuzzy with the 18.5 yet. Speaking of warm you guys are cooking down there even up here it's in the low 90s.

Also, I usually just hang the Maverick on the lip of the middle section. If you hang it, then slide the lid to pinch the hanger, it keeps the body of the Maverick from coming in contact with the cooker. Although I see your point about the need for sun shade, but I bet you could still make it work.

Great idea! I'll have to try that.

Very nice Mark. Admire your research and dedication to getting it right. The stock door on my 14 WSM is nice and tight. Did have to get the CB door for my 22 however. Love the Fattie of all Fatties!

It will be all sealed up and you will be smokin like a pro before you know what happened.

Once you get a few more cooks in on your WSM, the lid rim will have enough "gunk" around it to make a good seal. Sometimes when I get ready to use my 2003 18.5, I have to bump the lid to unseal it.

Back