Searing

BobW

TVWBB Fan
I've heard it said that you cant achieve the proper sear without infa red sear stations, or special grates etc. but i have to say, my Genesis 1000 with the plain old porcelain coated steel grates, when set up in a 2 zone cook, can sear a heck of a steak. Better than any other gasser I've had.
image_zpssbhkyndb.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
image_zpssfa7pjg4.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
image_zpsmcpcozpl.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

No complaints here. Though I will say my Wolf is almost frightening at how much heat and how fast it puts it out. IIRC correctly the 6 burners put out 12 or 13k btu each. If I turn it on high, lid down and come back to it less than minutes later the hair on my arms singes off when I open the lid LOL ;-). The thing has amazing heat and even more amazing control. Plus with the very tight spaced VERY heavy cast iron grates the sear (even on medium heat) is amazing plus zoning is amazing too. Since my Summit 450 is out of commission until I get that front panel fixed I have pressed the Wolf into daily service. Quite the machine!

I haven't run into any problems getting a decent sear on my gasser, and all I have is a six year old Spirit 3-burner. A couple years ago, I replaced my original Flavorizer bars with thicker aftermarket ones, and it improved the overall heat intensity and uniformity. As long as I let the grill preheat sufficiently, I'm usually pretty satisfied with my sear results.

Back