Searing meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Taylor

TVWBB All-Star
There has been talk of searing in some other threads. Including searing ribs on a gasser before cooking low and slow.

This is something I have often pondered. I sear every other meat I cook, but why does no one ever talk about searing their BBQ meats? Would it not serve the same purpose? I sear my chuck roasts and then cook low in the oven...you sear standing rib roasts and slow cook them. So, why not butt, ribs and brisket?

The purpose of searing is to start the carmelization process(Maillard Reaction) which releases hundreds of flavinoids. This in turn adds depth to the flavor. I realize the rubs and mops achieve flavor depth, but you put these things on steaks and burgers as well and still sear the meat.

Now, you need heats in excess of 500? to achieve this so it would require more cooking equipment.....either a grill or a pan and flame. I use my gasser when searing rib roasts and then place into the WSM to finish, so it is not impossible to do.

This would make it slightly more difficult at contests, but most of us have grills along anyway......or you could use the grates in your side winder fire box.

The BBQ community has come a long way in the past several years....lots of it based on the science of cooking.

I just wonder why this basic foundation of preparing meat has never been mentioned. Maybe folks have tried it and are not convinced of any advantage.

Let's talk about it!

CIA grads will argue that you can not get a Maillard Reaction at 225. I'll just stick with what wins /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

If you sear with rub on you will end up with burnt rub. Sear and then rub the reaction will change when comes to making bark. I have never tried it but I know there is at least one cook out there doing it, he was at the Jack Daniels a
year or two ago. Sear packer cut briskets in a big cast iron skillet.
Jim

Good point about the rub, but like I said in the origional thread where I first suggested the concept of searing ribs it results in baby backs my family and friends used to rave over. I did it in a gasser over very high heat, then removed the meat to an indirect cooking area and smoked with hickory at about 225 for a few hours. My rub for those ribs contained no sugar at all and was heavy on paprika.

Now that I have a WSM I'm considering adapting that technique.

By all means stick with what wins ... until someone else starts winning. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Konrad....

The CIA folks are correct...searing needs temps above 500? to achieve..that is science and can't really argue with it. Also, not really thinking about winning...I agree wholeheartedly with you on that one!

I was really just curious why no one ever does it.

Jim......

I agree...sort of. I put rub on my steaks and chicken and have never noticed a burnt rub taste. Now, I do admit, I never use any sugar based rub for my beef and that would make a difference.

Hey, at least you confirmed that one guy did it! Though it sounds like he is no longer around! LOL

I agree with Konrad's point as well....why mess with a winner?!!

Very easy to sear in WSM - just place cooking grate directly above charcoal bowl until seared to your satisfaction. People seem to forget the WSM will work as a kettle if you're willing to stoop down and use it that way.

Jason....

Just cooked 2 large porterhouse steaks last night doing exactly that! Used lump and seared and then put the middle section back on and placed steaks on the lower shelf without the pan. I kept the lid off at every step.

Perfect meat and only minor damage to this old back!

I have a 22" kettle and have had pretty good success in searing ribeyes but I believe I can do better. I use Kingsford (no one sells good lump (or any lump for that matter /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ) stacked on one side. My method is as follow: cook for 1 minute, turn 90 degrees, cook for another minute, flip to the half of the grill, rotate that half over the coals and repeat. The lid is on during cooking. I use about a half chimney of new coals plus whatever coals are left over from the previous cook.

Should I leave the cover off when I'm trying to sear? Should I put the cover on just long enough to let the grill get hot? Should I get the coals closer to the grill?
-------------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Mark....

I have found that keeping the lid off the kettle and the WSM results in a much hotter fire. You have a lot of air flowing and that constantly stokes the fire.

When camping, I put a grate directly on the hot coals and sear my meats. So, yes, I am a big fan of getting those coals as close to the grate as possible.

This is one thing that frustrates me about the Weber kettle...you need to use a HUGE amount of charcoal to get anywhere near the cooking grate. Subsequently, lots of waste as you are cooking too quickly to use all that charcoal.

Mark

Surely they've got lump somewhere in Huntsville, Al. I live in a much, much smaller area of NW Fl and can purchase Royal Oak at a hardware store. I think I remember seeing Cowboy at a Lowe's in Pensacola, the largest nearby city.

I start a full Weber chimney and then dump in and bank on one side. I then put on the cooking grate and the lid and let it preheat for 15 min. I then take off the lid, oil the grate and do the searing with the lid off. For the indirect part, I put the lid back on. With the lid off you do have to watch for flame up.

Honestly, I think I can sear as well or better on my Weber gasser which gets well over 550.

A number of years ago I bought the searing grate that Weber has now discontinued. I really don't use it, but the brochure said to sear by using the two charcoal baskets in the middle of the kettle each full. This puts the coals very close to the cooking grate. After searing, move the meat to the outside of the grate to finish. One problem is the searing space is very small, but is about the size of the CI insert.

Paul

I've switched to cooking steaks on the WSM using the searing method described above, using a full chimney of Kingsford Mesquite dumped into the charcoal ring. Man, good steaks! I love this forum, good tips.

Well, I have to be honest...I did find some lump(I think it was Cowboy) at Wal-Mart a while back but I been leary in trying it. If memory serves, a couple of folks on here gave it mixed reviews.

I have considered putting the WSM charcoal ring in the bottom of the kettle and then the kettle's charcoal grate on top of the WSM ring.
------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

What about putting the WSM ring on the kettle charcoal grate, then the second WSM cooking grate on top of the ring for searing. Then remove the steaks, and put the kettle cooking grate on and cook indirect along the edges of the cooking grate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back