seared Ahi

Ever since I saw Alton Brown do this on good eats I wanted to try this.

I let it soak for about 3 hours in the honey/soy sauce/washabi powder, reserving some for dipping.

It was tad hot for the dipping sauce and I used half the amount called for. Next time I will do the full 1/4 cup for the marinade and then add additional honey and soy sauce to cool the dipping sauce.

I followed his directions {on the internet he said put a grill on top of the chimney, on the program he did it on the grill over coals.} using the chimney.

next time I will do on the grill but it was fantastic. My wife LOVED it. if you like Tuna, and Sushi this is the one to try

Dan,

I saw the Alton Brown episode several times myself, and had always wanted to try it. Thanks for the warning about the heat of the sauce.

If I remember correctly, the tuna was quite rare at the center. Do you have a trusted source for Tuna? I do not live in a metropolitan area and I am not entirely confident in the fish supply. :)

LOVE tuna. I do mine on the chimney on a small baking rack. I like mine with about 1/8" of cooked flesh all the way around, no more than that really or it loses the wonderful tuna flavor. Last time, I used powdered Valentina hot sauce for the spice on it, and it was excellent. For dipping, I made a thin guacamole that had some heat, it went very well together. I get my tuna at Sam's of all places, they will cut it fresh for you if you ask. I'm in Illinois...not a tuna for many many many miles around here!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TimW:
Dan,

I saw the Alton Brown episode several times myself, and had always wanted to try it. Thanks for the warning about the heat of the sauce.

If I remember correctly, the tuna was quite rare at the center. Do you have a trusted source for Tuna? I do not live in a metropolitan area and I am not entirely confident in the fish supply. :) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yeah, we have an Asian market in town, the guy behind the counter cut my slice off the tuna while I watched. they have all kinds of whole fish iced and have several grades of service from as it sits to totally filleted. live lobster {heck everybody has that} live squid and octopus.

If Alton can find a good fish monger in Georgia {he does shoot his program near his home} you should be able to find one in NJ. I would also suggest bringing a cooler if you have very far to go. I am 5 minutes from the store with all the lights red.

I can also go to the Newport dory fleet and for fresh crabs and lobsters that are caught that day. {I need the cooler for that drive home
icon_wink.gif

Back