searching for wood chunks

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

hi everyone,
I was browsing the smoke ring a few months back and found a website that reviewed different brands of wood chunks,i was wondering if anyone here can lead me back to it,or if anyone can recommend where to get some quality wood chunks.I also have been having a problem finding a large enough container to brine a turkey in,I checked sams club warehouse, walmart ect and cannot find any
thanks for your time
kevin

Most restaurants and caterers have a number of 5 gal plastic food grade buckets around, ask and I'll bet you could get one cheap.
Jim
PS: Your near Cornwall and Newbrugh I believe?
There are apple orchards out there that maybe willing to let you get trimmings or can tell you who they are selling their wood to.
In Cornwall try Jones Farms Inc at 845-534-4445
or in Newburgh try Lawrence Farms at 845-562-4268

Hi Kevin---
I have had great success brining in my Coleman cooler. It is lined with food grade plastic, helps to keep the product cool, and cleans up without an aftertaste or smell. I have used it for salmon, chickens, and turkeys. As for wood chunks, we just experienced a pretty good wind storm in our area and there are lots of people cleaning up all kinds of wood. If you think that you can identify or ask the woodcutter what he is cutting and let him know what you are using it for, then you might score some wood for the smoker!!! I remove the bark and split it up into smoker sizes and use as needed....

Hi Kevin,

Like Jim says, free buckets are always good! I found that my local barbecue joint gets it sauce custom-mixed and delivered in square, 4-gallon food-grade buckets, and they give them away for free. So checking with restaurants is a good bet.

If you can't find a food-grade bucket, you can line any small bucket with a Reynolds turkey roasting bag and put the brine and turkey in that.

You can find professional quality containers at restaurant supply stores. Most sell to the public and you'll find them listed in the Yellow Pages.

As Tom says, you can also use a small ice chest. Just put the brine directly in the cooler with the bird, then put Blue Ice packs into the brine to keep it cold without diluting the brine. Or you could put ice cubes in Ziploc bags. Or you could freeze water in 1-qt plastic milk jugs. Let your imagination run wild! Just keep the brine below 40*F and keep the turkey submerged.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Kevin,

I typically use www.barbequewoodchips.com for mail order wood needs. They have over 20 different types of woods, and shipped my order in less than 2 days. Good service, Great price.

And no, I'm not affiliated, just a very satisfied long time customer.

Hope this helps!

I stole an idea from Emeril (I don't care what anybody says, I like him!). Like these guys say, you can use a coleman cooler, but I put it in a plastic garbage bag with the brine and cover it with ice.

For a single turkey, a 5-gallon bucket from Dollar General Store works great, with two 13-gallon trash bags tucked one inside the other. Bags get set inside the bucket, bird goes into bags, cold brine goes over bird, twist-tie it removing as much air as possible, and pack ice or ice packs around and on top of the bag. Set the bucket down inside an ice chest then also, if you wish. I have a stack of about a dozen cheap plastic buckets from Dollar General in my garage dedicated to brining.

Keri C, Smokin on Tulsa Time

Personally, I won't put my food in a plastic bag that's not food grade. No telling what's in or on that plastic.

From the USDA Web site (http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/meatpack.htm):

"The use of plastic trash bags for food storage or cooking is also not recommended because they are not food grade plastic and chemicals from them may leach into the food."

Cautiously yours,
Chris

I have to agree with Chris. I work in industrial sales and can ASSURE you there are many grades and qualities of "plastic". There are different types of plastics made for specific applications. Drainage, medium temp water/pressure, hot temp/pressure, air pressure, food grade, pharmecutical grade, etc. All are designed for a particular application and rightfully so. Plastic is a petroleum based product and processed according to do the job. I want as little of this base product in my food as possible.
Food grade minimum!
Sorry Keri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back