Sear grates?

Daum

TVWBB Super Fan
I've started using my performer more and more than my gas grill which now I basically only use for quick cooks where firing up charcoal may not be worth it. One thing I've noticed is that sometimes getting good grill marks is a bit more difficult on items like steak. I've seen a bunch of people have sear grates for their grills on here. Do you recommend them? If so, have a specific recommendation on type?

Thanks,
Daum

If you want some good sear marks, then I would definitely recommend a sear grate. I bought the Weber BBQ gourmet system with the interchangeable inserts. Mine came with the sear grate which is cast iron and I added a cast iron griddle which is awesome and I am also using that now for making pizza.

I know I have seen some posts where people have added a sear grate that lays on top of your regular grate. I am sure they will chime in. If you can, though I would recommend the weber system as it has a lot of options plus the actual metal grate you get with the system is heavier duty then your normal kettle grate.

http://store.weber.com/accessories/category/gourmet-bbq-system/

Hmmm. You're going from a gas grill to charcoal and missing grill marks. Have you noticed yet that hot charcoal will sear the entire surface? In other words, if you want better grill marks, sure, go with CIG's. Just pointing out though, that a nice sear, and grill marks are not one and the same....unless using the run of the mill gas grill, in which case the grill marks ARE the sear. If I wanted good grill marks on my kettle though, I'd just preheat the grates good and when turning the steak over, put on a fresh spot on the grill.

Last edited:
Points well made on the crust over all. Will just keep continuing with full sear rather than just marks! Plus saves some cash.

thanks for the feedback guys,
Daum

Try some GrillGrates. They work very well. They have won most of the steak cookoffs year after year.
They are more than just amazing grill marks, they act as infrared heat as part of the design.
The don't rust like cast iron grates either.

For those that like crust all over, I have read that you can flip the Grill Grates and grill them there. Supposedly great for steaks and burgers that way. I don't have them. Yet. ;)

If you look at the photos of "the big names" here, you'll see that most of them are cooking on cast iron grates over charcoal. I had to choose between getting cast iron grates or getting a comal. I bought a comal because the likely hood of getting a comal used is remote, whereas cast iron grates are likely to be found used

Back