Scrub oak OK to use for smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Edvik

TVWBB Super Fan
My parent's cabin property has a few regular oak trees, but mostly scrub oak. I could have all the scrub oak chunks I wanted if it's OK to use.
The wood is very dense. I know because we have had to cut some down to help in fire prevention.
Does anyone know if it's OK to use in a smoker?
Thanks,

Jeff

In the west Scub Oak is an Evergreen, I can find nothing suggesting you can smoke with scrub oak.
Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim.
I don't think these particular trees are evergreens. They have the same leaves as the oak trees on the property, and also produce acorns.
They are just thinner, shorter, and scragglier (is that a word?) than the regular oaks.
Update: In doing a search on the internet, it looks like what my family calls scrub oak is really called gambel oak. I still don't know if it's OK for smoke wood, but at least I know the actual name now.

Jeff

Jeff..

Scrub oak is fine to use for smoke.. I have been using it for years.. In fact that might be the only thing it's good for... Lol.. Try some and I think you will like the flavor of sand hill scrub oak...

I try to cut a tree about three inches in diameter and use a chop saw to cut it in chunks. Let it dry and smoke away...

Cheers!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jeff

I looked up the Gambel oak and that's not what I call a scrub oak.. However the oak that you described is about what the scrub oak looks like I have been using. It grows in sandy soil usually in a pine forest, small scrubby oak tree. There abundant in South Georgia and about the only thing they're good for is fire wood and smoking meat.

If it's hard wood I would try some and see if you like it...

Cheers!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks Bill.
I think I'll give it a try. If I like the results I'll have an abundant supply. There are no pine trees in this area. There are some regular oak trees & quaking aspen. This scrub oak grows well in dry areas.

Jeff Edvik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back