Scotch eggs with pics

Real nice Craig. These are on the to do list. These will make a nice breakfast item to take to work.
icon_cool.gif

I will definitely have to pick up some sausage tomorrow and give these a try. I wish I could find a store locally that had some Mendecino Mustard. It is the best honey mustard I have ever had.

I can just imagine one of these next to a nice pile of hash browns, drizzled with warm honey mustard. Mmmmmmm....

What was the trick to boiling eggs properly? Was it bring it to a boil in cold water, then shut it off, or just drop them (carefully) into boiling water, and time them? There is supposed to be one particular way that doesn't overcook the yolk and prevents that harder grey texture on the outer edge of the yolk.

I'm going to make these in the next few days, so if anyone wants to throw me the tip, I'd rather not overcook the eggs.

Thanks

Edited to add: Does it really matter since they will be cooking in the sausage as well? Does anyone start them raw, and let the slow cook finish them? I'm not a big fan of egg yolk that's plain anyway, so I might just pluck the centers out.

Put your eggs in cold water and bring them to a boil. Start to time 10 minutes from when they start to boil. Then take them off the stove and run cold water over them until they are cooled down. This works for me everytime.

Originally posted by Tom Chips:
I'm going to make these in the next few days, so if anyone wants to throw me the tip, I'd rather not overcook the eggs.

Thanks
Tom, here's a link for you with great hard boiled egg info for you. Link.

Thanks bro, I thought I was on the right track, but wasn't completely sure since they were going to sit in the smoker for a long time.

Of course the idiot part of my brain forgot to remind me that you couldn't wrap and cook them raw, cause you would then have to peel the damn sausage off the eggshell after they cook.

Imagine that
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

I need more sleep.
icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Of course the idiot part of my brain forgot to remind me that you couldn't wrap and cook them raw, cause you would then have to peel the damn sausage off the eggshell after they cook.
I went the roll sausage out thin and into like a hamger pattie deal. Then place the thin patty in a muffin tin or ? and crack open the egg into the sausage bowl. Close up or leave them open, "Scotch egg bowls" and smoke em up.
icon_biggrin.gif
He!! you could even scramble the egg first if you wanted. I was thinking outside the box off your post.
icon_wink.gif

Now your just confusing me more the I already was Bryan
icon_wink.gif
Those look SO good!! This is the same idea of cheese stuffed fatties right? Only with a pre-boiled egg in the middle instead of cheese? I picked up a Jimmy Dean "Bold Country" sasuage roll today, and a block of pepper jack, going to give it a try tomarrow. The bold country says "seriously hot" and "intense flavor" Had to try it, sorry for wondering off topic a bit.

Brandon

When I do them, I always make two or three rolls worth.

My method is to quarter the roll, and begin working the sausage by making a well and enclosing the egg around it.

At the end, when I think that the sausage is evenly rolled around the egg, I'll dip the scotch egg into a little bit of egg wash to provide a sealer/glue.

After that, I'll sprinkle some turbinado sugar on top (women like them sweet).

This is the second thread I've seen with Scotch eggs recently and so I finally had to try it. Plus, my local grocer had Bob Evans fatties at 4 for $10.

So I did them for breakfast this morning. You should seen the look on my wife's face as I'm making them up! She wasn't amused: "Do you have to smoke everything . . .?" Well, duh.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Anyway I took them off after an hour at 325, and they were beautiful, and smelled even better. Now my wife was interested. Then we ate them. Oh man, way better than the fried versions I've had at various Brit pubs. Can't wait to do those again.

Even better, my wife liked the "lower fat" (notice, I'm not suggesting low fat) content of these versus a traditional fried egg and sausage (or bacon) breakfast. So, this will keep the bit%^*ing to a minimum.
icon_smile.gif

Anyway thanks for the inspiration.

Bill

Back