Scotch eggs on the WSM

Lonnie Mac

TVWBB Fan
So Moonbeam and I can usually be found down at this little english tavern by our house eating scotch eggs and having a good english beer. I have tried to make them several ways but this has turned out to be the very best! Real easy to make. One fatty will make two scotch eggs. I smoked them for an hour and a half on my meatloaf high heat cook with elephant garlic, corn on the cob... After all that, smoked up some asparagus and bok choy too!

Great cook!

Pics:

4 eggs and two fatties...

meatloaf1.jpg

Cut fatty in half...

meatloaf2.jpg

Flatten a bit

meatloaf3.jpg

Add boiled egg. This is best if the eggs are at room temp as well...

meatloaf4.jpg

Walla!

meatloaf5.jpg

Lookin great!

meatloaf8.jpg

Door mod works GREAT for these high heat cooks.

meatloaf11.jpg

Meatloaf. This was the basic meatloaf recipe found here with several added goodies...

meatloaf14.jpg

Im' tellin ya, this is the best and easiest scotch eggs I have ever made! You MUST eat them with a bit of hot horseradish!

meatloaf16.jpg

Plated with a good Belgian Dubble...

meatloaf20.jpg

Man! I just pulled 2 fatties and a butt and I'd rather have me some of that!
icon_cool.gif
Cool idea with the double grate for the meatloaf. FYI, parchment paper will pass smoke for the smoke ring.

Bill
icon_cool.gif

Terrific! I haven't done Scotch eggs in a while but have always fried them. This way looks so much better.

Yep... I have always fried mine too. What a mess for me, and I am sure it's just me, but I could never get them to really come out right. I have tried them in the oven as well, but you can't get a smoke ring that way!
icon_smile.gif

I was running 350 just below the top grate on average for the whole cook...

It went down like this.

Meatloaf took about 2 hrs

Elephant Garlic for two hours with EVOO, Lemmon pepper and sea salt wrapped in a foil bowl. If you haven't tried this, it is GREAT as a spread. In the end it comes out like mush butter. All I do is cut the whole top off the garlic. Smoke with all the skin on swimming in the above ingredients.

Scotch Eggs about 1.25 hrs would have done it, I went closer to 1.5 hrs. I didn't temp these. They just looked great! Two of them did split open perfectly at about 1.25 hrs. No matter. I cut them in half anyway.

Asparagus for 15 minutes with EVOO, garlic sea salt and black pepper. The wife had to taste test these as I have until yesterday never in my 44 years let one of these things touch my lips. I didn't know what I had been missing all this time! I heated up a few today and just munched them like snacks!

Boc Choy for 10 minutes with EVOO, garlic sea salt, black pepper. They brown and crisp real good on the leaves but this is my favorite part...

Corn on the Cob for 1.5 hrs.

Lonnie,

I asked my Scottish descendant wife what a "Scotch Egg" was....she had no idea (
icon_smile.gif
) Is this a Scottish thing ?

Anyway, after showing her your pix, she said "Yum ! I know what you're cooking for me tomorrow !" Looks great, although I'm not a big hard boiled egg fan !

I've never done a "fattie" either, but it was next on my WSM "to do" list. What size fattie are you using ? If they are 1 lb, are you saying to use 1/2 lb per egg ? Sounds like a lot to me, but what do I know
icon_confused.gif

Thanks for the recipie and pix.

Dean...

Gosh, I wish I knew what size they were! They were the same size as the standard Owens anyway...

It is a bit much I guess per egg. I too can usually get more than two eggs from one fatty when I fry them. My reasoning was this for smoking was this... More than 2-3 eggs per pack, it gets a bit more "thin-skinned" so to speak. The smoke ring would practically penetrate all the way to the egg. Now this is not a bad thing! However in this case, I wanted a bit more "sausage" taste left in the "sausage" in the end...

Scotch Eggs...

Jeez, those scotch eggs look great! I'd never heard of them. I think I'll try Craig's style and try to get 4 eggs out of a roll.

All this new (to me) stuff - scotch eggs, ABTs - I love this place!

I do scotch eggs regularly when I tailgate.

Seeing your pics made me hungry for some, so I went out and bought 2 lbs of sausage.

I'll post pics later.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lonnie Mac:
Gosh, I wish I knew what size they were! They were the same size as the standard Owens anyway...

It is a bit much I guess per egg. I too can usually get more than two eggs from one fatty when I fry them. My reasoning was this for smoking was this... More than 2-3 eggs per pack, it gets a bit more "thin-skinned" so to speak. The smoke ring would practically penetrate all the way to the egg. Now this is not a bad thing! However in this case, I wanted a bit more "sausage" taste left in the "sausage" in the end...

Scotch Eggs... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Lonnie....a "Standard Owens" might be a good unit of measurement in TX, but here in MD, it's not much help
icon_biggrin.gif
Just pulling your leg, friend....the pix look like 1 lb to me...

I love your reasoning, too...seems like the fried pork sausage I've done in the past always loses it's size and flavor when I cook it, so doing the WSM thing sounds like a great alternative. We're really looking forward to trying this out !

.....Wikipedia....ain't it great ???? Thanks for the link ! No wonder the wife has never heard of it
icon_smile.gif

Dean...

I guess I forgot to add also... This is Owens size sausage, but Texas size eggs!!
icon_smile.gif

I eat the Scotch eggs hot with the hottest spicy mustard I can find. Mater of fact, I am pretty sure that the reason that throughout history that they are mostly consumed cold is because no one has figured out how to heat one of these things back up without ruining the egg! At least I haven't figured that one out yet!

I have never found the source of Scotch eggs definitively. No one really seems to know and the assertions one sees here and there that they 'orginated in Scotland' have no basis in fact that I can find. Possible, maybe, but I have never located anyhing to back it up. Some sources claim a ca. late 18-th century London source but there is insufficient data to support it.

I used to do Scotch eggs as a brunch dish in a restaurant on South Beach, years ago. They are usually fried to order so are served hot or warm--at least in the US places that do them; for picnics, where one used to see them referred and where they are still somewhat popular in the UK, at 'room' temp or cold. I always made a mustard sauce for them, spicy hot with a bit of sweetness, and served them sliced, not halved nor quartered. Extra-large eggs are nice for them or, my favorite, duck eggs.

For fried ones, they can be reheat in a 300 oven, covered for the first 5-8 min, if placed in the oven cold, then uncovered. A rack is best--for good air circulation. The same should be the case for smoked ones. Like reheating nearly anything, the trick is to reheat to serving temp period--no higher, lest the food start cooking again.

I've read about these but never made them myself. They look delicious and simple. And the best part, it's another reason for me to dig into some good hot mustard. But I bet they'd be good with the horseradish, and maybe a bit of sour cream stirred in.

I'll have to make some this week.

Awesome info, KK !

I was wondering how to make this a "breakfast/brunch" dish, if you're doing it on the WSM....didn't want to start a smoke at 4 AM to have breakfast
icon_smile.gif

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
Awesome info, KK !

I was wondering how to make this a "breakfast/brunch" dish, if you're doing it on the WSM....didn't want to start a smoke at 4 AM to have breakfast
icon_smile.gif

Dean... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hard boil the eggs the day before you plan to cook. The night before you plan to cook, assemble the hard boiled eggs and sausage, place on a plate, cover with saran wrap, or air tight container and fridge em up. The next morning, before firing up the WSM, take the pre assembled Scotch eggs out of fridge to warm up some. Go out and fire up the WSM and then put on scotch eggs. Cook for 1.25-1.5 hrs. at 325º-350º, rest a few min and enjoy.

Back