Scored a free '04 Genesis Gold C that could use a little love - not entirely sure what I'm looking at here

Dave, I understand if cost is an issue or if you just want to rescue those grates, but, while they are usable, I think you will be much happier with a set of inexpensive Amazon SS solid rod grates. Those grates being all pitted and such will be tough to clean up and it looks like they aer down to about 70% of their original mass.

Dave, I understand if cost is an issue or if you just want to rescue those grates, but, while they are usable, I think you will be much happier with a set of inexpensive Amazon SS solid rod grates. Those grates being all pitted and such will be tough to clean up and it looks like they aer down to about 70% of their original mass.
I'll replace them when I'm working again, but it looks like there's maybe a 25% chance that that'll even be this year. Fingers crossed for 2022.

For health reasons I don't think those should be used. Really. I may have a set of grates that are usable that I can send you free (save for postage) but for the sake of your well being I would not cook on those grates because if the photo on the right is an "after" pic you're going to be ingesting who knows what

I agree with what's been said. If you don't want to spring for a set of grates (or the shipping is too steep with Larry's generous offer) in these uncertain times, consider cooking in an oven-safe pan or griddle for the time being. That flaky stuff will continue to pop off as it heats and cools and you might end up with some in your food, which might ruin the whole grilling experience for someone.

Well I just located a brand new set of the stamped stainless grates I was hanging on to for a rainy day. I will try and locate a box to fit them. I don't think it would cost a terrible amount to ship them. So let me know if you'd like me to proceed. My guess is shipping might run $15-$20. Once I find a box, and weigh everything I will know more

I will never pretend to be an expert, so please don't confuse what may be my absolutely stupid theory with me questioning everyone else's sanity, but - is it possible that people are looking at these pictures under the assumption that I've been showing the cooking surface? Just in case, here's what the top of the bars look like (and never mind the rust - the overnight forecast indicated 0% chance of rain so I left them on my work surface, and woke up to a downpour; I know I need to clean them up again IF people think these might be useable).

To me, the tops look and feel pretty smooth. Is the potential for flaking on the bottom actually an issue for food contamination? Again, pretty new to the wonderful world of grilling, so this is a genuine (and probably stupid) question.

Attachments

• IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 13
Honestly I would NOT cook on those. Rust aside. I just would not. I get things are tough, but safety is more important.

Well, I have already said how much I like cast iron and expressed my hope you could restore those. But, if that is all you can get them down to, I guess I am with Larry. It wouldn't bother me that much if some of the "rods" (or whatever you call them on this grate) are thin, but Larry is absolutely right about safety. You have to get COMPLETELY down to solid, raw cast iron before seasoning. No stuck on chunks, etc. that can come off. Also, many would view both sides of these grates as a cooking surface.

I think you need to consider something else if the angle grinder can't get EVERYTHING off.

All right, sounds like it was all for naught (good way to learn how to use an angle grinder though I suppose). I appreciate the offer for the grates, but I've got one of these bad boys that I found new in box at a garage sale for $5 ages ago that I can throw on top for now.

Those are really good griddles but that isn't "grilling" LOL. Might as well just put that on the stove. More efficient that way. The offer stands. Once I find a box I will know more and will post the shipping cost. You can then make a decision from there

Yah, I could send a couple used stamped SS grates as well. I have two useable sets in my junk pile right now.
The rust on the grates will not hurt you if you cook on the grates themselves, but like others mention, it does look like there is still some flaking and chipping on those grates that makes them a hazard to cook directly on. The griddle is a good one and you can certainly use that. For some things they really work great. But for steaks and burgers, chicken, etc.... you really do want to use your grill as a grill and not an outdoor stove top.

Back